|Province||Newfoundland and Labrador|
|Incorporated (town)||March 20, 1951|
|• Mayor||Clyde Dominie|
|• MHA||Andrew Parsons (Burgeo and La Poile)|
|• MP||Gudie Hutchings (Long Range Mountains)|
|• Total||1.89 km2 (0.73 sq mi)|
|Time zone||Newfoundland Time (UTC-3:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||Newfoundland Daylight (UTC-2:30)|
|Postal Code||A0N 2J0|
Ramea, Newfoundland and Labrador (NST) is a small village located on Northwest Island, one of a group of five major islands located off the south coast of Newfoundland, Canada. The island is approximately 3.14 km long by 0.93 km wide (1.95 miles by 0.58 miles). The remaining major islands in the archipelago are Great (or Big) Island, Middle Island, Harbour Island, and South West Island.
The community, originally settled in the early 19th century for its proximity to rich fishing grounds and safe anchorages, was once a thriving fishing village. The town of Ramea was incorporated in 1951. It was probably named for Le Ramée, a street in Saint Peter Port, the capital of Guernsey.
From 1949 to 1970, businesswoman Marie Penny owned and operated John Penny & Sons, one of the largest frozen fish companies in Newfoundland during the 20th century. Since the cod moratorium of 1992, the isolated community has struggled to survive, having declined to about 50% of its peak population of 1,120 in the 1970s.
|Population in 2011||526 |
|2006 to 2011 population change (%)||-14.8%|
|Median age||49.9 |
|Total number of census families in private households||100|
|Number of married couples||190|
|Total number of dwellings||149|
|Land Area (km2.)||1.89|
Statistics Canada detail demographics follow link here
2009 was Ramea Come Home Year
Flora and fauna
Ramea is home to a large number of plants, which include the purple pitcher plant and bakeapple. Furthermore, the island and surrounding islands serve as a fall and winter home to many migratory seabirds.
There are a number of walks on the island. The walk also includes the wind-diesel plant.
Walking to the island's highest point on top of Man O'War Hill offers excellent views of archipelago and across to White Bear Bay.
Every year the islands plays host to a traditional music festival on the second weekend of August.
In 2004, Ramea was chosen for the site of
Canada's first wind-diesel demonstration project was completed with the support of CETC-Ottawa. Six 65 kW wind turbines were installed on the island of Ramea , Newfoundland . The objective of the project was to demonstrate that the Wind-Diesel Integrated Control System (WDICS) can be used to displace diesel power generation by introducing wind to the island's grid and to show significant energy efficiency and reliability for northern, remote or isolated locations.
CANMET Energy Technology Centre-Ottawa (CETC-Ottawa)
The wind-diesel pilot program generates around 1 million kWh electricity / yr and offsets approximately 750 tonnes of emissions annually.
Ramea was selected as the pilot site for a Wind-Hydrogen power system. The project is being undertaken by Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro in partnership with Natural Resources Canada, Memorial University, University of New Brunswick and Frontier Power Systems.
The wind-hydrogen system is due for completion in April 2010
In 2018 it was reported that the project was experiencing difficulties that resulted in high electricity prices on the island.
- "Corrections and updates: Population and dwelling count amendments, 2011 Census". Statistics Canada. February 14, 2013. Retrieved February 15, 2013.
- Ramea Island
- Ramea - Newfoundland and Labrador
- Hamilton, William Baillie (1996). Place Names of Atlantic Canada. University of Toronto Press. p. 250. ISBN 0802075703.
- "History of Ramea". www.ramea.ca. Retrieved 2017-11-24.
- Wright, Miriam Carol (2001). A Fishery for Modern Times: The State and the Industrialization of the Newfoundland Fishery, 1934-1968. University of Toronto Press. ISBN 9780195416206.
- Corrections and Updates Statistics Canada http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/news-nouvelles/corr/cgen004-eng.cfm
- Statistics Canada http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CSD&Code1=1003026&Geo2=PR&Code2=01&Data=Count&SearchText=ramea&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=All&Custom=&TABID=1#symTD
- Sod Turning for First Commercial Wind Farm in Newfoundland and Labrador
- "Ramea wind project at a standstill as residents worry about high power rates". CBC News. 10 June 2018. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- The Town of Ramea
- Explore Newfoundland and Labrador
- Marital structure and genetic heterogeneity of Ramea Island, Newfoundland
- St Boniface All Grade School
- Eastern Outdoors Kayaking and tourist information centre
- Senior Puffin Museum
- Ramea - Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador, vol. 4, p. 518-520.