This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ramesh Pokhriyal "Nishank"|
|5th Chief Minister of Uttarakhand|
27 June 2009 – 11 September 2011
|Preceded by||B. C. Khanduri|
|Succeeded by||B. C. Khanduri|
|Member of the India Parliament
16 May 2014
|Preceded by||Harish Rawat|
15 July 1959 |
Pinani, Pauri Garhwal, Uttarakhand
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Spouse(s)||Kusum Kanta Pokhriyal|
|Occupation||Politician, Poet, Writer|
Ramesh Pokhriyal "Nishank" (born 15 July 1959) is an Indian politician belonging to the Bharatiya Janata Party. He was Chief Minister of Uttarakhand from 2009 to 2011. He is a currently a Member of Parliament in 16th Lok Sabha. He represents the Haridwar Parliamentary Constituency of Uttarakhand in Lok Sabha and is a member of the Bharatiya Janta Party.
He was born in Pinani Village, Pauri Garhwal, Uttar Pradesh (now Uttarakhand) to Paramanamd Pokhriyal and Vishambhari Devi.
He was married Kusum Kanta Pokhriyal. She died at Ganga Ram Hospital in Delhi on November 11, 2012 after a brief illness. Nishank and Kusum Kanta had three daughters Arushi who is Kathak dancer, Vidushi and Shreyashi.
Pokhriyal was first elected for the Utter Pradesh Vidhan Sabha from Karnaprayag ward in 1991, and then later in 1993 and 1996 from the same constituency. In 1997 he was appointed for the Uttaranchal Development Minister. He was also Uttarakhand’s Chief Minister (from 2009 to 2011) and is currently a member of Lok Sabha’s 16th session and the Chairman of the Assurance Committee. He is currently[when?] a representative of Haridwar constituency in the Lok Sabha and a senior member of Bhartiya Janta Party. He is Member of Vidhan Sabha of Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand for five consecutive terms from 1991 to 2012. He was elected first time in 1991 from Karnaprayag ward for three consecutive terms.
Pokhriyal was appointed Cabinet Minister for Uttaranchal Development in Shri Kalyan Singh’s Cabinet and in 1999 appointed for Cultural Fulfillment and Endowments in Shri Ram Prakash Gupta’s Cabinet. In 2000, after creation of Uttarakhand state, he was appointed for twelve departments including finance, revenue, tax and water divisions. He was first minister of 12 divisions, including finance, revenue, tax and water, for the State of Uttarakhand. In 2007, he was appointed minister for Health and Family Welfare, Language and Science departments in Uttarakhand. In 2009, he became the youngest Chief Minister of Uttarakhand. In 2012, he was elected Vidhayak for Lok Sabha from Doiwala, Dehradun constituency. In 2014, he resigned from Doiwala, and elected from Haridwar for Lok Sabha.
Pokhriyal has been writing poems and stories from his childhood, but his first collection “Samparn” was published in 1983. Today, he has over 10 poem anthology, 12 story anthology, 10 novels, 6 kids literature, 2 personal development books which amounts to more than 4 dozens of published works. He has written in all genres of Hindi Literature (poems, novels, short stories, travel journals, etc.) making him a respectable figure in Hindi Literature.[better source needed]
- Samarpan (Poems)1983
- Navankur (Poems) 1984
- Mujhe Vidhata Banna Hai (Poems) 1985
- Tum Bhee Mere Saath Chalo (Poems) 1986
- Roshnee Kee Ek Kiran (Stories) 1986
- Desh Hum Jalne Na Denge (Poems) 1988
- Jeevanpath Mein (Poems) 1989
- Bas Ek Hee Ichchaa (Stories) 1989
- Matribhoomi Ke Liye (Poems) 1992
- Kya Naheen Ho Sakta (Stories) 1993
Works translated in other languages
- Khare Hue Prashn (Stories) En Kelvikku Ennabathil (Tamil)
- Ae Vatan tere Liye (Poems) Tayanade Unakkad (Tamil)
- Ae Vatan tere Liye (Poems) Janmabhoomi (Telugu)
- Bheer Sakshi Hai (Stories) The Crowd Bears Witness (English)
- Bas Ek Hi Ichha (Stories) Nur Ein Wunsch (German)
- Khare Hue Prashn (Stories) Prashnankit (Marathi)
- Khare Hue Prashn (Stories) Esperances Et Verites (French)
- Kya Nahin Ho Sakta (Stories) Sangle Shakya Aahe (Marathi)
- Bas Ek Hi Ichha (Stories) cl, d gh bPNk (Garhwali)
- Tum Aur Main(Stories) Du Und Ich (German)
Awards and honours
- Republic of Mauritius awarded him with Gopio International Award for his contribution towards art, literature, public service and environment conservation.
- Many national and international literature and social organisations awarded him with Rashtriya Gaurav, Bharat Gaurav, Pride of Uttrakhand Award.
- Indian Government awarded hin with Mahapandit Rahul Sankrityayan Award for the year 2008 09 for his book “Himalaya ka Maha Kumbh: Nanda Devi Raj Jaat”
- International Open University, Colombo granted him an honorary degree with D. Lit. for his literary work
- Honorary D. Lit. for literature by Graphic Era University, Uttarakhand
- Sahitya Gaurav Samman by Former President Dr A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
- "Profile: Steady innings for Pokhriyal in state politics". The Times of India. 24 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-25.
- Haridwar (Lok Sabha constituency)
- Former CM Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank’s Wife Died
B. C. Khanduri
|Chief Minister of Uttarakhand
2009 – 2011
B. C. Khanduri