Rameswaram railway station
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (August 2013)|
|Indian Railway Station|
|Location||GP Road, Rameswaram, Ramanathapuram district, Tamil Nadu
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Southern Railway|
|Connections||Bus stand, Auto rickshaw stand|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
It is belongs to the Madurai railway division and is an important terminal of the Southern Railway Zone. Its official code is RMM.
The station links the pilgrim town as well as the rest of the island to the mainland via the highly acclaimed Pamban Rail Bridge.
Location and Layout
The train station is located on the GP Road which is a few seconds drive from the Ramanathasamy Temple and is easily accessible by bus, auto-rickshaws and taxis anywhere from the main town.
The station is one of the oldest in the country, and accommodated trains such as the Sethu Express and the Boatmail, which were two of the most significant and historic trains operated in the region prior to the gauge conversion.
There are 4 platforms and 7 railway tracks and 2 pitlines within the station. Currently, the Rameswaram railway station and the Pamban Junction railway station are the only two train stations in the island excluding the former rail terminus in Dhanushkodi that is no longer in use.The metre-gauge branch line from Pamban Junction to Dhanushkodi was abandoned after it was destroyed in a cyclone in 1964.
Rameswaram is a terminal railway station and below is a list of trains that originate from the station.
|No.||Train No.||Train Name||Origin||Destination||Time||Frequency|
|||16102/16101||Boat Mail Express||Rameswaram||Chennai||17:00||Daily|
|||22621/22622||Kanniyakumari SF Express||Rameswaram||Kanniyakumari||20:45||Mon,Thu,Sat|
Demand for New Express Trains
- Rameswaram-Mysore Express Daily via Karaikudi-Trichy-Namakkal-Salem-Bangalore
- Rameswaram-Kolkata Santragachi Express weekly via Tirupathi-Bhubaneswar
- Rameswaram-Bikaner Express weekly via Madurai-Mangalore-Panvel-Ahmedabad-Jodhpur
- Rameswaram-Mumbai Bi-Weekly Express via Karaikudi-Trichy-Salem-Krishnarajapuram-Solapur
Demand for Extension of Trains
- 12687/12688 Madurai-Dehradun/Chandigarh(via Delhi Nizamuddin) express to Rameswaram
Demand for Increase in Frequency
- 16617/16618 Rameswaram-Coimbatore Weekly express to Daily
- 22621/22622 Rameswaram-Kanniyakumari Tri-Weekly SF express to Daily
- 16779/16780 Rameswaram-Tirupathi Tri-Weekly express to Daily
Demand for Passenger trains
- Rameswaram-Ernakulam Passenger via Madurai-Pollachi-Palakkad(After Gauge conversion)
- Rameswaram-Coimbatore Passenger via Madurai-Pollachi-Potanur(After Gauge conversion)
- Rameswaram-Sengottai Passenger via Manamadurai-Arupukottai-Virudhunagar