Ramgarh Lake was an artificial lake situated near Jamwa Ramgarh in Rajasthan, India. The last time the lake received water was 1999 and it has been dry since 2000. It is situated 32 kilometres (20 mi) from Jaipur, and covers a maximum area of 15.5 square kilometres (6.0 sq mi). At one time the lake was the main source of water supply to Jaipur City. It was a popular picnic spot, particularly after the rainy season.
During the 1982 Asian Games the rowing events were held on Ramgarh Lake. Localities believe that the water body has died a premature death due to the carelessness of state government. In 2011 the Rajasthan High Court had ordered the district administration to remove numerous encroachments that came up in the catchment area halting the free flow of water to it. However encroachment in the catchment area of dam still prevails and there is little hope that the water will be recharged.
Ramgarh Wildlife Sanctuary
The dense forest surrounding the lake and the nearby areas is home to a wide range of wildlife, including lions,[a] chital, and neelgai, and was declared a wildlife sanctuary by the Government of India in 1982. There are ruins of an old fort and temple of Jambwa Mata. The sanctuary is recognized as a part of the ecoregion of Kathiawar-Gir dry deciduous forests.
Ramgarh Dam catchment area
- Sebastian, Sunny (2000-01-05). "Jaipur Lake a scorched bed now". The Hindu. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- Singh, Ajay (2012-08-24). ""Damned" Ramgarh still dry". Times of India. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Hybrid lions at Chhatbir Zoo in danger". The Times of India. 18 September 2006. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Singh, H. S.; Gibson, L. (2011). "A conservation success story in the otherwise dire megafauna extinction crisis: The Asiatic lion (Panthera leo persica) of Gir forest" (PDF). Biological Conservation. 144 (5): 1753–1757. doi:10.1016/j.biocon.2011.02.009.
- "Ramgarh Lake". jaipur.org.uk. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Kathiawar-Gir dry deciduous forests". Terrestrial Ecoregions. World Wildlife Fund. Retrieved 2017-01-29.
|This article related to a location in Rajasthan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|