Bar-Niv is a graduate of the Rubin Academy of Music in Tel Aviv, where he studied piano with Karol Klein and composition with Paul Ben-Haim, Alexander Boskovitch, and Ödön Pártos. He won a grant from the America-Israel Cultural Foundation in 1966 to continue his studies at Mannes College of Music in the United States, where he studied with Nadia Reisenberg and with the theorist Carl Schachter. During the summer of 1968 Bar-Niv studied with duo pianists Vronsky & Babin. In 1970 William Gunther asked Rami Bar-Niv to replace him in the First Piano Quartet.
Bar-Niv has performed in concerts worldwide. In 1974 he performed Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 23 with the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Paul Paray. He presented a series of violin and piano recitals with Shlomo Mintz in Israel, and has performed extensively with various chamber ensembles in Israel and abroad.
In 2012 Bar-Niv published his first book The Art of Piano Fingering – Traditional, Advanced, and Innovative.
Tim Page of the New York Times described Bar-Niv's New York City performance of Shostakovich's first piano concerto as "flamboyant and effective". He has recorded a number of records for CBS and other labels, both as soloist and as a chamber player. One of them is unique in being the only piano recording of the complete "Little Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach".
- Reisenberg, Nadia. "Music Professor".
- "Piano Foursome Enthralls Arts Hall Audience". Sarasota Journal. 4 (A). Dec 1, 1971.
- "Washington National Wagner Society: Past Events".
- "Rami Bar-Niv Piano Recital".
- "Israeli pianist in free concert June 5". RomeSentinel.com. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- Antonleta Somoza, Maria (19 February 2001). "Guatemala Recital". Grafico.
- Morris, Hobie (5 August 2004). Life&Times of Utica, Brookfield. Missing or empty
- "El Virtuoso Pianista Israelita Rami Bar-Niv...". El Diario De Hoy. San Salvador. 13 April 1993.
- "Tickling the ivories". Cyprus Mail. 6 June 1993.
- Boehm, Yohanan (July 23, 1982). The Jerusalem Post Magazine. Missing or empty
- MUZA (muse) Magazine for Culture and Arts. 149 (14): 9. June 1989. Missing or empty
- List of compositions by Rami Bar-Niv
- Israel Music Publications
- "The Or-Tav Music Publication". Retrieved 6 May 2012.
- Page, Tim (17 December 1982). "Symphony: Queens Group". The New York Times. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "Romantique" (LP record) (26816). CBS Records, Israel, LTD. 1986.
- "Rhapsody in Blue – Rami Bar-Niv Plays Gershwin, Joplin, and Bar-Niv" (LP record) (26816). CBS Records, Israel, LTD. 1987.
- "The Van Leer Chamber Music Players" (CD, Live concert) (6367-70). Italy, Trtieste, Teatro Miela: RS, Italy. October 3, 1990, 1993. Check date values in:
- "J.S. Bach, The Little Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach" (LP record) (54201). CBS Records, Israel, LTD. 1981.
- Boehm, Yohanan (September 11, 1981). "Musical globe-trotters". Jerusalem Post (Music&Musicians).