|Born||Cherukuri Ramoji Rao
November 16, 1936
Pedaparupudi, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Residence||Ramoji Film City, Anajpur, Telangana, India|
|Occupation||Businessman, Media Entrepreneur|
|Awards||Padma Vibhushan 2016|
Cherukuri Ramoji Rao, better known as Ramoji Rao (born 16 November 1936), is an Indian businessman, film producer, educationist, journalist and media entrepreneur. He is head of the Ramoji Group which owns, among other things, the world's largest film production facility, Ramoji Film City and film production company Ushakiran Movies, established in 1983. He has garnered four Filmfare Awards South, and the National Film Award for his works in Telugu cinema. In 2016, he was selected to be honored with the Padma Vibhushan, India's second highest civilian honor, for his contributions in journalism, literature and education.
Rao was born in Pedaparupudi, Krishna District, Andhra Pradesh State, into an agricultural family. Companies owned by the Ramoji group include Margadarsi Chit Fund, Eenadu newspaper, ETV, Priya Foods, Ushakiran Movies and as mentioned above, the Ramoji Film City near Hyderabad. He is also the chairman of Dolphin group of hotels in Andhra Pradesh. Rao's younger son, Cherukuri Suman, died of cancer on 7 September 2012.
Awards and Honors
- Civilian honors
- Padma Vibhushan (2016) - Government of India
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu (producer) - Nuvve Kavali (2000)
- Filmfare Best Film Award (Telugu) - Pratighatana (1985)
- Filmfare Special Award - South for outstanding contributions towards Indian cinema (1998)
- Filmfare Best Film Award (Telugu) - Nuvve Kavali (2000)
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award - South (2004)
- Ramoji Film City on BBC. 9 May 2013 – via YouTube.
- Ramoji Film City on Discovery Travel & Living. 9 May 2013 – via YouTube.
- "Largest film studio". Guinness World Records. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "Chairman Rao". The Caravan. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- "Padma Awards 2016".
- "Padma Awards 2016: Full List". NDTV.com. 25 January 2016.
- on YouTube