April 1, 1988 |
Concord, California, United States
|Other names||Stripper Ramsey|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||74.0 in (188 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Orem, Utah|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division I wrestling|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Ramsey Nijem (born April 1, 1988) is an American mixed martial artist who last competed in the lightweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional MMA competitor since 2008, Nijem has made a name for himself fighting in Utah. He was a finalist on The Ultimate Fighter: Team Lesnar vs. Team dos Santos.
A Palestinian American, Nijem was born in Concord, California, but raised in Mill Creek, Washington. He attended Henry M. Jackson High School from 2002 through 2006. During those years, Nijem was a part of his high school's soccer, cross-country, and wrestling teams. His senior season in wrestling he went 27-5 and earned "Wrestler of the Year" honors. He was also wrestling captain for his junior and senior seasons.
After high school, Nijem enrolled in Utah Valley University, also wrestling for the school.
Nijem began his training with Riven Academy of MMA in 2008. Electing to skip an amateur career, Nijem made his pro debut April 18, 2008 defeating Ryan Miller via first round rear-naked choke submission. After taking a nineteen-month hiatus from the sport, he returned losing to Gordon Bell via an armbar submission only 21 seconds into the first round.
Only a month after his first loss he defeated Logan Hancock via unanimous decision, bring his professional record to 2-1. Ramsey recorded his first TKO win in April 2010, defeating Eric Uresk at Showdown Fights: Burkman vs. Paul. He made his lightweight debut against Scott Casey, winning the fight via first round submission.
In June, 2011 at his UFC debut at the TUF 13 finale, Nijem walked out to the Matisyahu song "One Day." His choice of music was significant due to Nijem's Palestinian background and Matisyahu's Orthodox Jewish background, and the moment has been recognized for its "diplomatic initiative and message centered on peace." 
The Ultimate Fighter
In 2011, Nijem had signed with the UFC to compete in The Ultimate Fighter: Team Lesnar vs. Team dos Santos.
Nijem was picked fourth on Team dos Santos and eighth overall. In the fourth preliminary match-up, Nijem was selected to fight Bellator veteran, Charlie Rader. In the first round Nijem controlled the fight by putting Rader on the fence, and obtaining a few last minute take downs. In the second round Nijem was able to take Rader down early and lock in a fight ending rear naked choke.
Nijem was selected to fight Clay Harvison in the quarterfinals. Nijem went on to win the fight by rear naked choke less than a minute in. In the semifinals, Nijem fought Chris Cope, defeating him via TKO in round two. The win moved him into the live finale for the chance to become the winner of The Ultimate Fighter.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Nijem made his official UFC debut on June 4, 2011 at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale against Tony Ferguson to crown the winner of The Ultimate Fighter 13. Nijem lost the bout via KO in the first round after getting caught flush by a left hook.
Nijem faced Carlos Diego Ferreira on August 30, 2014 at UFC 177. He lost the back-and-forth fight via TKO in the second round. Despite the loss, Nijem was awarded his first Fight of the Night bonus award.
Nijem was expected to face Erik Koch on July 25, 2015 at UFC on Fox 16. However, Koch was forced from the bout with injury and replaced by promotional newcomer Andrew Holbrook. Holbrook defeated Nijem by split decision. 15 of 15 media outlets scored the decision in favor of Nijem.
On October 2, 2015, it was announced that Nijem was cut from the UFC roster.
World Series of Fighting
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|15 matches||9 wins||6 losses|
|Loss||9–6||Andrew Holbrook||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Dillashaw vs. Barão 2||July 25, 2015||3||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||9–5||Carlos Diego Ferreira||TKO (punches)||UFC 177||August 30, 2014||2||1:53||Sacramento, California, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||9–4||Beneil Dariush||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Nelson||April 11, 2014||1||4:20||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||8–4||Justin Edwards||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Philippou||January 15, 2014||3||5:00||Duluth, Georgia, United States|
|Loss||7–4||James Vick||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen||August 17, 2013||1||0:58||Boston, Massachusetts, United States|
|Loss||7–3||Myles Jury||KO (punch)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez||April 20, 2013||2||1:02||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||7–2||Joe Proctor||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz||December 8, 2012||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Win||6–2||C.J. Keith||TKO (punches)||UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida||June 22, 2012||1||2:29||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||5–2||Danny Downes||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 137||October 29, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||4–2||Tony Ferguson||KO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Lesnar vs. Team dos Santos Finale||June 4, 2011||1||3:54||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Lost The Ultimate Fighter 13; Welterweight bout.|
|Win||4–1||Scott Casey||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Showdown Fights: Respect||September 10, 2010||1||2:48||Orem, Utah, United States||Lightweight debut.|
|Win||3–1||Eric Uresk||TKO (punches)||Showdown Fights: Burkman vs. Paul||April 23, 2010||2||4:02||Orem, Utah, United States|
|Win||2–1||Logan Hancock||Decision (unanimous)||Throwdown Showdown 5: Homecoming||November 20, 2009||3||5:00||Orem, Utah, United States|
|Loss||1–1||Gordon Bell||Submission (armbar)||Xtreme Combat||October 24, 2009||1||0:21||Richfield, Utah, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ryan Miller||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Throwdown Showdown 1||April 18, 2008||1||2:15||Orem, Utah, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|3 matches||3 wins||0 losses|
|Win||3-0||Chris Cope||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter 13||June 1, 2011 (airdate)||2||1:49||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter 13 Semi-Final round|
|win||2-0||Clay Harvison||Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 13||May 18, 2011 (airdate)||1||0:56||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter 13 Quarter-Final round|
|Win||1–0||Charlie Rader||Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 13||April 20, 2011 (airdate)||2||3:31||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter 13 Preliminary round|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Dillashaw vs. Barao 2". UFC.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Ramsey Nijem - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved August 31, 2014.
- UFC Fight Night 26: Ramsey Nijem 'Our job is pretty much on the line every time we fight'
- "Ramsey Nijem vs. Danny Downes added to UFC 137 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. July 21, 2011.
- Martin, Damon (November 12, 2011). "Anthony Njokuani vs. Ramsey Nijem Agreed for UFC 141". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "Ramsey Nijem out, Danny Castillo in against Anthony Njoukani at UFC 141". MMAjunkie.com. December 7, 2011. Retrieved December 7, 2011.
- "Ramsey Nijem vs. C.J. Keith Added to UFC on FX 4". mmaweekly.com. 2012-03-25.
- "TUF veterans Ramsey Nijem and Joe Proctor to meet at UFC on FOX 5 in Seattle". mmajunkie.com. August 22, 2012. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- "UFC on FOX 7 adds Jury-Nijem". mmajunkie.com. February 7, 2013.
- "Ramsey Nijem vs. James Vick joins UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 in Boston". mmajunkie.com. June 5, 2013.
- Staff (2013-11-24). "UFC Fight Night 35 Card Grows with Addition of Three New Bouts". uk.eurosport.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- Alex Schlinsky. "UFC Fight Night 39: Abu Dhabi adds ten fights". fansided.com. Retrieved 2014-02-25.
- Staff (2014-04-11). "UFC Fight Night 39 bonuses: Clay Guida, Tatsuya Kawajiri nab 'FOTN' honors". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-11.
- Jesse Holland (2014-07-13). "UFC 177: Ramsey Nijem vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira on tap for Aug. 30 in Sacramento". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "UFC 177 bonuses: Dillashaw, Medeiros, Ferreira, Nijem win $50,000". MMAjunkie.com. August 31, 2014.
- Damon Martin (2015-04-22). "Ramsey Nijem meets Erik Koch at FOX UFC Fight Night in Chicago". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-04-22.
- Staff (2015-06-29). "Andrew Holbrook in for Erik Koch against Ramsey Nijem at UFC on FOX 16". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-29.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-07-25). "UFC on FOX 16 results: Andrew Holbrook granted split over flabbergasted Nijem". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-25.
- "Andrew Holbrook def. Ramsey Nijem". MMA Decisions. Retrieved 2015-07-25.
- Jesse Holland (2015-10-02). "Report: UFC cuts Ramsey Nijem, three others". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-10-02.
- Staff (2016-08-29). "WSOF Continues Signing Spree, Inks Deal with Ramsey Nijem". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2016-08-29.