Youssef was born in Queens and grew up in New Jersey with Egyptian parents. Youssef performed sketch comedy while studying political science and economics in college. In college, Youssef served as a camp counselor for the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) in New Jersey. He left Rutgers when he was 20 and moved to Hollywood, enrolled in acting school.
Youssef had a guest appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert in 2017 where he did a stand-up routine. His show was picked up by Hulu and was launched on April 19, 2019 with 10 episodes. The show was named Ramy and he plays the title namesake character. The show tells the story of a millennial Muslim who is a first generation immigrant in the United States. It has been renewed by Hulu for a second season with expected premiere in 2020.
|2013||Above Average Presents||Scars|
|2012–2014||See Dad Run||Kevin Kostner||Main role|
|2017||Mr. Robot||Samar Swailem||Recurring role|
|2019–present||Ramy||Ramy Hassan||Lead role|
- Deb, Sopan (2019-04-18). "'Ramy' Is a Quietly Revolutionary Comedy". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Easton, Anne. "Comedian Ramy Youssef Says All Life, Not Just Muslim Experience, Is Explored in 'Ramy'". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Izadi, Elahi. "Comedian Ramy Youssef is still figuring out life as a Muslim millennial. So he made a show about it". The Washington Post. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- Framke, Caroline; Framke, Caroline (2019-03-10). "TV Review: 'Ramy'". Variety. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Ibrahim, Shamira (2019-04-23). "What 'Ramy' Gets Wrong About Muslim Women". The Atlantic. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Kuperinsky, Amy (2019-04-19). "Meet Ramy Youssef, star of 'Ramy,' the Hulu show that breaks new ground while drawing on his N.J. roots". nj.com. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Siede, Caroline. "Ramy is a Muslim millennial comedy with impressively big questions on its mind". TV Club. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- "'Ramy' Is About One Millennial American Muslim — And Everyone's Racist Uncles". NPR.org. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Ali, Lorraine. "Ramy Youssef on making TV's first Muslim American sitcom, Hulu's millennial comedy 'Ramy'". latimes.com. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Thorne, Will. "'Ramy,' 'Pen15' Renewed for Second Seasons at Hulu". variety.com. Retrieved 2019-06-17.