Mitter in 2013
|Born||1969 (age 49–50)|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Known for||Chinese history in the Republican era, contemporary Chinese politics|
BBC Radio 3
|Thesis||The Japanese occupation of Manchuria (1996)|
Shantashil Rajyeswar Mitter OBE FBA (born 1969), known as Rana Mitter, is a British historian and political scientist of Indian origin who specialises in the history of republican China. He is Professor of the History and Politics of Modern China at the Department of Politics and International Relations at Oxford University, Deutsche Bank Director of the Dickson Poon China Centre, and a Fellow and Vice-Master of St Cross College. His 2013 book China’s War with Japan, 1937-1945: The Struggle for Survival (titled Forgotten Ally: China’s War with Japan, 1937-45 for publication in the US), about the Second Sino-Japanese War, was well received by critics.
Mitter was educated at King's College, Cambridge, where he received both his MA and PhD; in 1991 he was elected President of the Cambridge Union. He was also a Kennedy Scholar at Harvard University. On 16 July 2015, he was elected a Fellow of the British Academy (FBA).
- Mitter, Rana (2013). China's War with Japan, 1937-1945 : The Struggle for Survival. London: Allen Lane. ISBN 014103145X.
- Mitter, Rana (2004). A Bitter Revolution: China's Struggle with the Modern World. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0192803417.
- Mitter, Rana (2000). The Manchurian Myth: Nationalism, resistance and collaboration in modern China. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press. ISBN 0520221117.
Critical studies, reviews and biography
- Kushner, Barak (November 2013). "[Untitled review]". Reviews. History Today. 63 (11): 62. Review of China's war with Japan.
- Bickers, Robert (December 7, 2017). "Barbarians Out!". The New York Review of Books. 64 (19): 42–44. Review of Out of China: How the Chinese Ended the Era of Western Domination.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rana Mitter.|
- "Rana Mitter".
- "Rana Mitter - Rana Mitter - Nov 04,2013".
- Kanika Datta (30 August 2013). "Virtual Coffee with BS: Rana Mitter".
- Richard Overy. "China's War with Japan, 1937-1945: The Struggle for Survival by Rana Mitter – review". the Guardian.
- "China's War with Japan, 1937-1945: The Struggle for Survival".
- "The start of history". The Economist.
- Julia Lovell (18 July 2013). "China's war With Japan 1937-1945: the struggle for survival, by Rana Mitter, review". Telegraph.co.uk.
- "BBC Radio 3 - Night Waves - Rana Mitter". BBC.
- "British Academy Fellowship reaches 1,000 as 42 new UK Fellows are welcomed". British Academy. 16 July 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "No. 62666". The London Gazette (Supplement). 8 June 2019. p. B13.