Ranbir Singh (general)
|Years of service||13 December 1980 – present|
|Unit||9 Dogra Regiment|
|Commands held|| Northern Army|
33 Armoured Division
181 Mountain Brigade
|Awards|| Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (bar)|
Yudh Seva Medal
Lieutenant General Ranbir Singh, AVSM**, YSM, SM is the current General Officer Commander-in-Chief (GOC-in-C), Northern Command of the Indian Army and assumed office on 1 June 2018. He assumed the post after Lt General Devraj Anbu assumed the post of Vice Chief of the Army Staff. He was the Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) of the Indian Army during the 2016 Indian Line of Control strike. He was considered the face of the operation because he briefed the media after the strikes.
Early life and education
Singh hails from Jalandhar and his family belongs to Ambala Jattan, Hoshiarpur district, Punjab. His father, who was a JCO in the Indian Army, died when he was young. His uncle, Colonel Manmohan Singh (retd), adopted him when he was three years old.
He is an alumnus of St Joseph’s Convent School, Lajpat Nagar; Sainik School, Kapurthala; National Defence Academy, Pune and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun. He has also attended Defence Services Staff College, Wellington; Faculty of Studies at Army War College, Mhow and Royal College of Defence Studies, UK.
Singh was commissioned into 9 Dogra Regiment on 13 December 1980. He has held various important Command, Staff and Instructor appointments during his career. He is considered to be an expert at counter insurgency operations, operational art and information operations. He has also served in the military operations directorate as a Colonel and Brigadier. His commands include the 181 Mountain Brigade, 33 Armoured division and I Corps (Mathura). He has held various staff appointments including that of Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) and Deputy Chief of Army Staff (Information Systems and Training). He has also served in UN Peacekeeping Missions to Rawanda and as a Chief Operations Officer at Sudan.
Honours and decorations
Singh met his wife when he was posted in Mumbai and they have a son. He is also a teetotaler.
- "Lt Gen Ranbir Singh appointed Northern Army Commander - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "'Face of Indian Army' Lt Gen Ranbir Singh appointed Northern Army Commander". The Week. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "Lt Gen Ranbir Singh, who announced surgical strikes, is Northern Army Commander". The Economic Times. 2018-06-01. Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- "Meet Lt Gen Ranbir Singh, man of the moment after announcement of strikes". Hindustan Times. 2016-09-30. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "I see it as my 85th birthday gift, says father".
- "Kapurthala Cong rallies behind Amarinder". Archived from the original on 2017-12-07.
- Shukla, Tarun (2016-09-30). "Meet Ranbir Singh, the face of India's surgical strikes across LoC". livemint.com/. Archived from the original on 2017-12-07. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "Lt Gen Ranbir Singh takes charge of Strike Corps". The Economic Times. 2016-11-30. Archived from the original on 2017-12-07. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "Republic Day Gallantry and other Defence Decoration". pib.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2017-12-07. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "Lt General Ranbir Singh promoted to GOC Strike 1 Corps, AK Bhatt new DGMO". Archived from the original on 2017-12-07. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "Lt General Taranjit Singh assumes Command Of Strike 1". www.aninews.in. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "390 Republic Day Gallantry and Other Defence Decorations Announced".
- "President Confers Gallantry and Distinguished Service Awards". pib.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2017-12-07. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
| General Officer Commander-in-Chief Northern Command
1 June 2018 - present
| General Officer Commanding I Corps
30 November 2016 - 28 December 2017
||Director General of Military Operations||Succeeded by|
Anil Kumar Bhatt