|Sheng Liang (CEO)|
Shannon Williams (President)
Darren Shepherd (CTO)
Will Chan (CPO)
Rancher Labs was funded with $10 million in 2015, $20 million in 2016, and $40 million in 2020. Executives include co-founders Sheng Liang (CEO), Shannon Williams, Darren Shepherd, and Will Chan. The company's headquarters are in Cupertino, California.
In May 2020, Rancher Labs launched Rancher Academy, a free training program through which IT professionals can be certified on a range of technologies the company provides on top of various distributions of Kubernetes. Company President Shannon Williams says Rancher Labs is trying to democratize access to Kubernetes training at a time when many IT organizations still can’t find IT staff with appropriate skills, even in the wake of the economic downturn brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic. A recently released Dice 2020 Tech Job Report found there has been an 82% increase in job demand for individuals with Kubernetes skills over the past year alone. Dice predicts that the demand for Kubernetes skills will enjoy a projected growth rate of more than 67% over the next 10 years.
In April 2020, Rancher Labs released an update to its Kubernetes management platform that makes it easier to upgrade without any downtime in addition to making it easier to remotely access. Company CEO Sheng Liang says that as organizations increasingly operationalize Kubernetes there is now a lot more focus on lifecycle management and scalability. Version 2.4 of Rancher provides access to a set of tools that makes it easier for IT teams to manage a fleet of Kubernetes clusters event when network connectivity is limited, says Liang. IT teams can now, for example, can initiate an upgrade remotely, but all processes are executed locally. Once completed, the remote cluster synchronizes with the management server once connectivity is re-established.
- Lardinois, Frederic (May 9, 2016). "Rancher Labs raises $20M Series B round for its container management platform". Tech Crunch. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- "Rancher Labs Raises $40 Million Series D Round to Accelerate Growth of Its Kubernetes Management Platform". Rancher Labs. 2020-03-16. Retrieved 2020-05-14.
- "Rancher Labs Opens Rancher Academy". Container Journal. May 19, 2020.
- "Rancher Labs Simplifies Kubernetes Lifecycle Management". Container Journal. April 3, 2020.
- Novet, Jordan (July 8, 2020). "Linux company SUSE outbids competitors for fast-growing start-up Rancher Labs". CNBC.