Rancho Bernardo High School
|Rancho Bernardo High School|
13010 Paseo Lucido
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Poway Unified School District|
|Color(s)||Blue, White, and Silver|
Rancho Bernardo High School, or RBHS, is a public high school in the Poway Unified School District of San Diego County, California, United States. Rancho Bernardo High School opened in September 1990 as the district's third high school. There are approximately 2,300 students in grades 9 through 12, and approximately 101 faculty members.
This section does not cite any sources. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rancho Bernardo is a Division I school competing in the Palomar League. The school's sports teams go by the name "The Broncos". Their school colors are blue, silver, and white.
In a 1997 incident, three baseball players pleaded guilty to sodomizing a new teammate with a broom handle in the locker room after a game. The school district paid $675,000 to settle the claim and the three players were sentenced to time in juvenile hall. The students stated there was a tradition of hazing in which older team members would threaten to rape incoming freshmen players, or would perform simulated rape.
In April 2002, one of the school's assistant principals forced female students at a school dance to lift their clothing and expose their underwear, in search of G-strings and thongs. The district said the reason for the check was to "ensure appropriate school dress." Rita Wilson, the assistant principal involved in this incident, was later demoted to a teaching position.
- Eugene Amano, National Football League offensive lineman
- Hank Blalock, Major League Baseball third baseman
- Tom DeLonge, Former guitarist and vocalist for Blink-182 (did not graduate from Rancho Bernardo High School)
- Cole Hamels, Major League Baseball pitcher
- Anurag Kashyap, winner of the 78th Scripps National Spelling Bee
- David Kennedy, guitarist for Hazen Street and Angels and Airwaves
- Stephanie Kim, singer and dancer in TSZX The Grace
- Reed McKenna, professional soccer midfielder
- Danny Putnam, Major League Baseball outfielder
- Scott Raynor, former drummer for Blink-182
- Jelynn Rodriguez, actor on the show The Drop
- Trevor Williams, Major League Baseball pitcher
- Aaron Wallace Jr., National Football League linebacker
- Will Yeatman, National Football League Player and Collegiate Lacrosse All American
- "Rancho Bernardo High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 24, 2019.
- Rancho Bernardo High School U.S. News and World Report, 2014
- "Sports hazing incidents". ESPN.
- Yang, Eleanor (May 1, 2002). "Rancho Bernardo High official suspended over underwear inspection". San Diego Union Tribune. Retrieved 2007-06-04.
- Whitaker, Barbara (June 19, 2002). "Underwear Check Leads To Demotion". New York Times. Retrieved 2007-06-04.