Rancho San Miguel (Olivas)
Rancho San Miguel was a 4,694-acre (19.00 km2) Mexican land grant in present-day Ventura County, California given in 1841 by Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado to Felipe Lorenzana and Raymundo Olivas. The grant encompassed the area of present-day City of Ventura not within Rancho Ex-Mission San Buenaventura, with the Santa Clara River marking its southern boundary.
Felipe Lorenzana was one of the orphans who traveled from Mexico City to California 1799–1800. Felipe Lorenzana married Maria de Natividad Ruiz. Raymundo Olivas (1801-1879), born in Los Angeles, joined the Mexican Army at the age of 16 and was assigned to the Presidio of Santa Barbara. Raymundo married Teodora Lopez in Santa Barbara in 1832. They had 21 children - eight girls and thirteen boys. In return for their army service, Raymundo Olivas and Felipe Lorenzana, were granted one and a half square leagues in 1841. 
With the cession of California to the United States following the Mexican-American War, the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo provided that the land grants would be honored. As required by the Land Act of 1851, a claim for Rancho San Miguel was filed with the Public Land Commission in 1852, and the grant was patented to Raymundo Olivas and Felipe Lorenzana in 1873.
Historic sites of the Rancho
- Ogden Hoffman, 1862, Reports of Land Cases Determined in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, Numa Hubert, San Francisco
- Hoover, Mildred B.; Rensch, Hero; Rensch, Ethel; Abeloe, William N. (1966). Historic Spots in California. Stanford University Press. ISBN 978-0-8047-4482-9.
- United States. District Court (California : Southern District) Land Case 65 SD
- Report of the Surveyor General 1844 - 1886 Archived 2009-05-04 at the Wayback Machine
- "Map of the West one half of the RANCHO SAN MIGUEL." 5 MR 32. Ventura County Recorder 10 April 1906. Retrieved January 3, 2014 from CountyView GIS.
- "Plat of the Olivas portion of the Rancho San Miguel." 2 MR 105. Ventura County Recorder 19 October 1882. Retrieved January 3, 2014 from CountyView GIS.
- Olivas Adobe