Rancho Tehama Reserve, California
Rancho Tehama Reserve
|• Total||11.717 sq mi (30.345 km2)|
|• Land||11.639 sq mi (30.144 km2)|
|• Water||0.078 sq mi (0.201 km2) 0.66%|
|• Density||130/sq mi (49/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (Pacific (PST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|Website||Official website – Rancho Tehama Association|
Rancho Tehama Reserve is an unincorporated community in Tehama County, California, United States. The lightly populated rural, remote community has large lots where some residents farm olives, walnuts and almonds. The population was 1,485 at the 2010 census, up from 1,406 at the 2000 census. For statistical purposes, the United States Census Bureau has defined it as a census-designated place (CDP). The census definition of the area may not precisely correspond to local understanding of the area with the same name. It was the site of a November, 2017 spree killer's rampage.
2017 shooting spree
On November 13/14, a 44-year-old man, Kevin Janson Neal, went on a killing spree, shooting his wife and his neighbors. Neal then crashed his vehicle into a car, which killed and injured two people. Shortly afterwards, he engaged in a shootout with police officers, in which random people were harmed, including some children. One of the children was shot at Rancho Tehama Elementary School, a school within the Corning Union Elementary School District. Five people were killed and 18 others were wounded, some from bullets, and some from flying glass. Neal fatally shot himself after exchanging gunfire with a Corning police officer and a deputy sheriff who responded to the call after they briefly chased him and ultimately rammed him, in a vehicle he had stolen from one of his victims.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 11.7 square miles (30 square kilometres), of which, 11.6 square miles (30 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (0.66%) is water.
Wired telephone numbers in this locale follow the pattern (530) 585-xxxx.
Rancho Tehama Airport, National Geographic Names Database feature ID 1653862, is located atin the same vicinity as other references to the community.
At the 2010 census Rancho Tehama Reserve had a population of 1,485, an increase from the population of 1,406 recorded in the 2000 census. The population density was 126.7 people per square mile (48.9/km2). The racial makeup of Rancho Tehama Reserve was 1,181 (79.5%) White, 21 (1.4%) African American, 52 (3.5%) Native American, 21 (1.4%) Asian, 5 (0.3%) Pacific Islander, 102 (6.9%) from other races, and 103 (6.9%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 214 people (14.4%).
The whole population lived in households, no one lived in non-institutionalized group quarters and no one was institutionalized.
There were 587 households, 143 (24.4%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 289 (49.2%) were married couples, 63 (10.7%) had a female householder with no husband present, 42 (7.2%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 37 (6.3%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 1 (0.2%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 148 households (25.2%) were one person and 57 (9.7%) had someone living alone who was 65 or older. The average household size was 2.53. There were 394 families (67.1% of households); the average family size was 2.96.
The age distribution was 295 people (19.9%) under the age of 18, 110 people (7.4%) aged 18 to 24, 253 people (17.0%) aged 25 to 44, 509 people (34.3%) aged 45 to 64, and 318 people (21.4%) who were 65 or older. The median age was 48.5 years. For every 100 females, there were 100.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.7 males.
There were 776 housing units at an average density of 66.2 per square mile, of the occupied units 476 (81.1%) were owner-occupied and 111 (18.9%) were rented. The homeowner vacancy rate was 6.5%; the rental vacancy rate was 6.7%. 1,150 people (77.4% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 335 people (22.6%) lived in rental housing units.
In the California State Legislature, Rancho Tehama Reserve is in the 4th Senate District, represented by Republican Jim Nielsen, and in the 3rd Assembly District, represented by Republican James Gallagher.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files – Places – California". United States Census Bureau.
- Shyong, Frank; Panzar, Javier; Serna, Joseph; Saint John, Paige (November 14, 2017). "Terror in Northern California town as gunman goes on rampage, sprays school will bullets". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 15, 2017.
- Saint John, Paige (November 15, 2017). "Gunman's rampage exposes dark 'underbelly' of small Northern California community". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 16, 2017.
- "Shooting near California elementary school leaves several dead, children wounded". Fox News. November 14, 2017. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "2010 Census Interactive Population Search: CA – Rancho Tehama Reserve CDP". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 15, 2014. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "Statewide Database". Regents of the University of California. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "California's 1st Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Official website – Rancho Tehama Association