Rancho High School
|Rancho High School|
Rancho High School, Est. 1954
|1900 Searles Avenue
North Las Vegas, NV, 89101
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Clark County School District|
|Area trustee||Kevin L. Child|
|Principal||Dr. James Kuzma|
|School colour(s)||Green and white
|Athletics conference||Sunrise 4A Region|
|Website||Rancho Rams High School|
Rancho High School is a zoned, and magnet high school located at 1900 Searles Avenue in North Las Vegas, Nevada. It is part of the Clark County School District. Opened in 1953, Rancho High School was the 3rd public high school founded in the Las Vegas Valley, after Las Vegas High School (1905) and Basic High School (1942).
Rancho High School offers two different Clark County School District magnet programs, The Academy of Aviation (Private Pilot Training and Aerospace Engineering), The Academy of Medicine (Pre-Med, Sports Medicine, Emergency Medical Training), and Biomedical Technology (Biotechnology) Academy.
Academy of Aviation
The Academy of Aviation offers two 4-year programs for students interested in pursuing courses that can lead to college or careers in the aerospace and aviation industry. The Private Pilot Training program offers curriculum in the fundamentals of flight, space travel and rocketry, as well as the opportunity to earn a Private Pilot License.
Academy of Medicine
The Academy of Medicine offers four 4-year college preparatory programs by instructors with extensive professional experience. For students interested in becoming medical doctors or other medical professionals such as veterinarians, nurses, dentists or pharmacists, a Pre-Med program is available.
Academy of Biomedical Technology (Academy of Biotechnology)
Through the Biomedical Technology program, (also referred to as the Biotechnology, "Biotech," Academy,) students are introduced to the unique field of research and the basic skills commonly employed in the biotechnology laboratory. Students participate in DNA extraction, genetic engineering techniques, basic tissue culturing and cloning.
Rancho High School offers many different sports, including volleyball, baseball, football, cross-country, swimming, tennis, golf, soccer, wrestling, bowling, cheerleading and dance, and has many traditions that go along with each individual sport.
The oldest tradition in Nevada High School football is the Bone Game between Rancho High School Rams and the Las Vegas High School Wildcats
Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association State Championships
- Baseball – 1959, 1960, 1961, 1965, 1969, 1973, 1974, 1976, 2010, 2011, 2014
- Football – 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988
- Volleyball (Girls) – 1985, 1986
- Basketball (Boys) - 1961, 1973, 1977, 1986,1992
- Soccer (boys)- 1980,1981,1982,1995, 1998
The old campus was torn down in June 2006 after over 50 years of being the main location for the school. In July 2006 construction of a new 75 million dollar (overbudgeted to over 100 million), indoor, mall-style school was completed and the students moved in. It was erected on the site of the old football field. After the campus was completed, construction began on a new artificial turf football field and track. Construction was completed in 2007.
- Greg Anthony – former UNLV and NBA basketball player and former CBS Sports analyst
- Marty Barrett, Former MLB player (Boston Red Sox, San Diego Padres)
- Tom Barrett – former MLB infielder (Boston Red Sox, Philadelphia Phillies)
- Alan Burd - Clark County, Nevada's Dusty the Dusthole
- Lionel Hollins – former NBA player and current coach of the Brooklyn Nets
- Ken Jordan – musician (The Crystal Method)
- Ruben Kihuen – politician
- Joe Lombardo – politician and 17th Sheriff of Clark County
- Mike Maddux – former major league baseball pitcher and current pitching coach for the Texas Rangers
- Ne-Yo – R&B singer
- Mike Pritchard - former NFL wide receiver
- John Welch - Assistant coach for the Brooklyn Nets of the NBA
- Greg Anthony at IMDB
- The Baseball Cube Archived October 13, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived January 15, 2005, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Lionel Hollins career statistics". Basketball-reference.com. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- Las Vegas Mercury April 29, 2004
- Schoenmann, Joe (June 27, 2014). "In Clark County sheriff race, Joe Lombardo, Larry Burns will pit police brass against police union". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved December 18, 2016.
- "Las Vegas Review-Journal March 9, 2006". Reviewjournal.com. Archived from the original on October 8, 2012. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Mike Pritchard". Sports Hall Of Fame. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- Welch Fresno State bio