|Alma mater||University of Chicago (Ph.D.)
Harvard College (A.B.)
Randolph Baer Cohen (born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is an American financial economist, and an associate professor at the MIT Sloan School of Management. He was previously a professor at Harvard Business School.
Cohen received his A.B. from Harvard College in 1987 and then obtained his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business in 1998. Upon graduation he began his career on the faculty at Harvard Business School where his research focus has been on the interface between the actions of institutional investors and price levels in the stock market.
At Harvard, Cohen has been published in several of the most prestigious and widely cited Journals in the fields of finance and economics. In addition, Cohen has published numerous Harvard case studies on topics ranging from the valuation of baseball star Alex Rodriguez to risk arbitrage. His 2003 research entitled "The value spread" (with Christopher Polk and Tuomo Vuolteenaho) was a nominee for the Smith-Breeden Prize for the best paper published in the Journal of Finance. His 2005 research entitled "Judging fund managers by the company they keep" (with Lubos Pastor and Joshua Coval), which was profiled in Time magazine (June 9, 2003), The New York Times (January 5, 2003), and Barron's Magazine (December 16–20, 2002), was also nominated for the Smith-Breeden Prize.
Cohen grew up in Philadelphia and attended Germantown Academy in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania. His father was a practicing attorney and his mother taught reading at Wordsworth Academy, a school for children with learning disabilities. During graduate school he appeared on the television show Jeopardy! on an episode that aired January 29, 1997.
- "Randolph B. Cohen - Biography". President and Fellows of Harvard College. 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-10.
- "Randolph B. Cohen - Publications and Course Materials". President and Fellows of Harvard College. Retrieved 2007-09-10.
- "Christopher Polk - Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). London School of Economics. Retrieved 2007-09-10.
- "Research". chicagogsb.edu. Retrieved 2007-09-10.
- "Hedge Fund Management 2007: Speakers". CFA Institute. Archived from the original on 2007-04-02. Retrieved 2007-09-16.
- "Portable Alpha & 130/30 Strategies 2007". Terrapinn Ltd. Retrieved 2007-09-16.
- "Hedgestock 2006". hedgestock.co.uk. Retrieved 2007-09-16.
- "Randy Cohen". J! Archive. Retrieved 2008-10-15.