This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||1959/1960 (age 58–59)|
|Alma mater||Saint Joseph's College of Maine|
Randy Freer (born 1959/60) is an American television executive. He was named CEO of Hulu in October 2017, replacing Mike Hopkins. Prior to joining Hulu, Freer was president and chief operating officer of Fox Networks Group, a position to which he was named in October 2013. In this role, Freer directly oversaw revenue, distribution, and operations for Fox Networks Group, including FOX Broadcasting Company, FOX Sports, FX Networks, Fox International Channels, and National Geographic Channels. He was also responsible for rights acquisitions, and team and league relationships on behalf of FOX Sports. Freer reported to Peter Rice, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Fox Networks Group.
Previously in his career at Fox, Freer served as Co-President and COO, FOX Sports Media Group, where he focused on growing and enhancing FOX Sports’ prestigious portfolio of league, conference, and team media rights. In recent years, he oversaw the negotiations that led to new long-term agreements with the National Football League, Major League Baseball, NASCAR, and the USGA, as well as with the Pac-12, Big 12, and Big East Conferences. Freer also played a significant role in Fox’s landmark acquisitions of the World Cup and the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). Freer’s efforts to bolster FOX Sports’ complement of media rights helped lay the foundation for FOX Sports 1, the company’s new national sports television network, which launched in August 2013.
Both Business Week and Sports Business Journal have named Freer one of the most influential people in the business of sports on multiple occasions. CableFax Magazine has also named Freer the number-one most powerful executive in local sports television for three consecutive years (2008-2010).
In December 2013, Sports Business Daily named Freer and Eric Shanks the number one most influential people in sports business. "Under the direction of Freer and Shanks, Fox Sports dictated, shaped and in some cases inflated the sports media marketplace in recent years, gobbling up rights in a buildup to the August launches of Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2."
Freer joined FSN in 1997 after serving for three years as Senior Vice President, Business Affairs at Active Entertainment, an animation syndication firm. Prior to that, Freer spent nine years at Turner Broadcasting, the last two as Executive Vice President, Entertainment Sales. In that position, Freer was responsible for overseeing all advertising sales for Turner Broadcasting System (TBS) and Turner Network Television (TNT), as well as the Cartoon Network.
- "Fox Sports 1 Execs Reveal Strategy to Take on ESPN (Q&A)". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- "Hulu Names Fox Executive Freer as CEO". Bloomberg.com. 2017-10-24. Retrieved 2017-10-25.
- Lieberman, D. (2013, October 28)
- "Foxflash -". www.foxflash.com. Archived from the original on 2 August 2014. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- "At Home in the Big Leagues".
- "The 50 most influential executives in sports, 11-20," Sports Business Journal, December 13, 2010.
- "The 100 Most Influential People in Sports," Bloomberg Businessweek
- "2010 CableFAX 100: The Top Regional Players".
- "50 Most Influential: No. 1 — Randy Freer and Eric Shanks". www.sportsbusinessdaily.com. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- Randy Freer Bio
- Lieberman, D. (2013, October 28). Randy Freer Named President/COO Of Fox Networks Group. Deadlinecom. Retrieved June 13, 2014, from http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/randy-freer-names-presidentcoo-of-fox-networks-group/
- The Front Office: Fox Sports Networks' Randy Freer
- 50 Most Influential Executives in Sports, Sports Business Journal
- The CableFAX 100—The Greatest Hits of 2008
- Block, A. (2013, October 28). Randy Freer Named President and COO of Fox Networks Group. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 16, 2014, from http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/randy-freer-named-president-coo-651226
- Randy Freer: Executive Profile. (2014, June 16). Businessweek.com. Retrieved June 16, 2014, from http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=10243386&privcapId=24160135&previousCapId=393697&previousTitle=Fox%20Entertainment%20Group,%20Inc.