Rang Barse Bhige Chunar Wali
Rang Barse Bhige Chunar Wali (Hindi:रंग बरसे भीगे चूनर वाली) is a popular 1981 Hindi song from Bollywood movie Silsila. The song "Rang Barse Bhige Chunarwali" which Amitabh Bachchan sings during the film is said to be one of India's best known folk songs. The music director was Shiv-Hari, both also noted classical musicians. The taal (rhythm) of the song is Keherwa (Kaharva) of Hindustani classical music, while the lyrics were by poet Harivansh Rai Bachchan, based on a traditional bhajan, by 15th-century mystic poet Meera.
The song was picturised in a film sequence showing a community Holi celebration with film's cast, and hence got link with Holi festivities. Even after three decades of its release, 'Rang Barse' is remains one of the most popular song played on the occasion of festival Holi in north India.
 Rang Barse Rang barse bhige chunr wali, rang barse Are kaine mari pichkari tohri bheegi angiya
O rangarasia rangarasia, ho .. Rang barse bheege chunr wali, rang barse…
Sone ki thaali main joona parosaa Are, sone ki thaali main joona parosaa Haan, sone ki thaali main joona parosaa Are, khaye goori ka yaar balam tarse rang barse Holi hai !!!!! O0, Rang barse bheege chunr wali, rang barse…
Launga elaichi ka, are launga elaichi ka Launga elaichi ka?? Han Are launga elaichi ka baeda lagaya Haan, launga elaichi ka baeda lagaya Chaabe gauri ka yaar, balam tarse Holi hai !!!! O, Rang barse bheege chunar waali, rang barsse …
Are, belaa chameli ka seez bichhaya Belaa chameli ka, sez bichhaya Are, belaa chameli ka sez bichhaya Haan, belaa chameli ka sez bichhaya Soye goori ka yaar, balam tarse Holi hai!!! O, Rang barsse bheege chunar waali, rangg barsee…
It is believed that tune and lyrics of this song are taken from a Rajasthani folk bhajan about meera . However the lyrics are slightly altered to mould the song into appropriate context of the movie script. First few lines of the original bhajan are
"Rang barse o meeran ,bhawan main rang barse..
Kun e meera tero mandir chinayo, kun chinyo tero devro...
Rang barse o meeran ,bhawan main rang barse"
- Mishra, Vijay (2002). Bollywood cinema: temples of desire. Routledge. p. 153. ISBN 978-0-415-93015-4. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- Mamta Chaturvedi (2004). Filmi Non Filmi Songs (With Their Notations). Diamond Pocket Books (P) Ltd. p. 50. ISBN 8128802992.
- Silsila: Soundtrack Internet Movie Database.
- Gulzar; Govind Nihalani; Saibal Chatterjee (2003). Encyclopaedia of Hindi Cinema. Popular Prakashan. p. 204. ISBN 8179910660.
- "Songs make Holi complete". The Times of India. Mar 18, 2011.
- "Why don't we have Holi songs nowadays?". Sify.com. Feb 25, 2010.
- on YouTube