Ranga Reddy district
|Ranga Reddy district
రంగా రెడ్డి జిల్లా
|District of Telangana|
Location in Telangana, India
|Named for||Konda Venkata Ranga Reddy|
|• Total||7,493 km2 (2,893 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 Census)|
|• Density||710/km2 (1,800/sq mi)|
|• Official||Telugu, Urdu|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||TS-07, TS-08|
|Precipitation||603 millimetres (23.7 in)|
|Avg. annual temperature||26.0 °C (78.8 °F)|
|Avg. summer temperature||45.9 °C (114.6 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||23.5 °C (74.3 °F)|
Ranga Reddy District, formerly known as K. V. Ranga Reddy District and Hyderabad (Rural) District, is a district in the state of Telangana, India. It is the most populous of the ten districts of Telangana with a population of 5,296,741. The district encircles the city and district of Hyderabad, and the city of Hyderabad also serves as the administrative center of the district. The district headquarters is Vikarabad. The district has 1055 villages grouped into 37 mandals.
The district was formed in 1978 when it was split from Hyderabad district. Originally named Hyderabad (Rural) district, it was renamed after Konda Venkata Ranga Reddy, a freedom fighter who fought for the independence of Telangana from the Nizams and who went on to become the deputy chief minister of Andhra Pradesh.
Ranga Reddy District occupies an area of approximately 7,500 square kilometres (2,900 sq mi).
- Medium-scale industries and Cement Corporation Of India (CCI)'s cement factories are established at Tandur.
- Another major company is Hyderabad Chemicals and Fertilizers, established at Moula-Ali in 1942.
In 2006 the Indian government named Ranga Reddy one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the nine districts in Telangana currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
There are 14 assembly constituencies in Ranga Reddy district. They are Medchal, Malkajgiri, Qutbullapur, Kukatpally, Uppal, Ibrahimpatnam, L B Nagar, Maheshwaram, Rajendranagar, Serilingampally, Chevella, Pargi, Vikarabad and Tandur.
Mandals are third-level administrative areas in India, below states and districts. There are 37 mandals in Ranga Reddy district:
- Uppal Kalan
According to the 2011 census Ranga Reddy District has a population of 5,296,396, roughly equal to the nation of Finland or the US state of Minnesota. This gives it a ranking of 17th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 707 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,830/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 48.15%. Rangareddy has a sex ratio of 955 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 78.05%.
- "District Codes". Government of Telangana Transport Department. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Law, Gwillim (2011-09-25). "Districts of India". Statoids. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
- "Salient Features of Rangareddy District". Rangareddy District Official Website. Collectorate Rangareddy District. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- Srivastava, Dayawanti et al. (ed.) (2010). "States and Union Territories: Andhra Pradesh: Government". India 2010: A Reference Annual (54th ed.). New Delhi, India: Additional Director General, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India), Government of India. pp. 1111–1112. ISBN 978-81-230-1617-7.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "Banks in Ranga Reddy". bankifsccodes.co.in. Retrieved 2014-08-21.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Finland 5,259,250 July 2011 est.line feed character in
|quote=at position 8 (help)
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
Minnesota 5,303,925line feed character in
|quote=at position 10 (help)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rangareddy district.|
|Gulbarga district, Karnataka||Nalgonda district|