This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Yogi Bear Show character|
Ranger Smith from The Yogi Bear Show
|First appearance||Yogi Bear's Big Break (1958)|
|Created by||William Hanna
|Portrayed by||Tom Cavanagh (2010 film)|
|Voiced by||Don Messick (1958–1994)
Greg Burson (1991: Yo Yogi!)
Corey Burton (1999: Spümcø shorts)
|Relatives||Yogi Bear (rival/friend,younger brother)
Boo-Boo Bear (friend,younger brother)
Cindy Bear (friend,sister -in-law)
Slippery Smith (evil twin)
Rachel Johnson (girlfriend)
A former US Army soldier, he is the serious and stern authority figure in Jellystone Park, in contrast to the antics of the troublesome Yogi, and he greatly disapproves of Yogi's picnic basket thievery, mainly because it repels parkgoers and creates a lot of extra work for him.
In the original Yogi Bear shorts on Huckleberry Hound, a different and unnamed character that would evolve into Ranger Smith had a much different appearance, looking older and with a white mustache, though his voice was the same. Even after his trademark appearance had been established, Ranger Smith's design was notably inconsistently drawn throughout each episode of "The Yogi Bear Show". In one episode, he appears as his young self, but this is may be his first actual encounter with Yogi as he doesn't appear to recognize him and refers to Yogi as "that bear".
Ranger Smith is sometimes very friendly with Yogi; in other episodes, he wants nothing more than to send Yogi away to the zoo. The attitudes of the Ranger towards Yogi usually parallel Yogi's behavior; if Yogi is up to mischief, then Smith wants to be rid of him; if Yogi is trying to behave himself, the ranger will often be supportive. There seems to be a deep down, if not grudging respect for Yogi. Although the two have a somewhat antagonistic relationship, if serious trouble were to befall one of them, the other, usually attempts to rescue him. They also have a long-running friendly rivalry.
Ranger Smith genuinely likes Boo-Boo, because Boo-Boo always tries to stay out of trouble, unlike Yogi.
- Ranger Smith has appeared in some episodes of Yogi's Gang. In those appearances, he is seen with blond hair instead of black.
- Ranger Smith was a supporting character in Yogi's Treasure Hunt.
- Ranger Smith appeared only once (Quebec/Baghdad) in Scooby's Laff-A-Lympics.
- Ranger Smith made a guest cameo in "The Story Stick" from A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.
- In Yo Yogi!, Ranger Smith is shown as Officer Smith who is a security guard at Jellystone Mall. Officer Smith is voiced by Greg Burson.
- Ranger Smith has become a starring character in parody shorts produced by the now-defunct animation company Spümcø, including Boo Boo Runs Wild, A Day in the Life of Ranger Smith, and Boo Boo and the Man. In those appearances, Ranger Smith was voiced by Corey Burton.
- Various designs for Ranger Smith made non-speaking appearances in the Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law episode "Identity Theft", referencing the noticeable inconsistencies the design experienced in the original cartoon.
- Ranger Smith appeared in the Robot Chicken episode "President Evil" voiced by Seth Green. In a movie trailer segment that featured Yogi and Boo Boo, Ranger Smith tells the sheriff that the cops won't catch Yogi since he's smarter than the average bear.
- Ranger Smith appears in the Yogi Bear feature film that was released December 17, 2010. He is portrayed by actor Tom Cavanagh. In this film, Ranger Smith learns that Jellystone is being shut down by Franklin City's Mayor R. Brown and he tries to avoid this with a firework celebration during the 100th anniversary that is accidentally ruined by Yogi and Ranger Smith is sent to a fake patch of land. However, this does not to stop him from helping Yogi and Boo Boo stop Mayor R. Brown from cutting down all the trees and revealing the rare frog-mouthed turtle that lived in Jellystone which Boo Boo kept as a pet.
- Ranger Smith can be briefly spotted in a Metlife commercial that aired in 2012.
- The Huckleberry Hound Show (1958–1960)
- The Yogi Bear Show (1961–1962)
- Hey There, It's Yogi Bear! (1964)
- Yogi's Gang (1973) (episodes "Mr. Prankster", "The Gossipy Witch", and "Lotta Litter")
- Laff-A-Lympics (1977) (episode "Quebec, Canada and Baghdad, Iraq")
- Yogi's First Christmas (1980)
- Yogi Bear's All Star Comedy Christmas Caper (1982)
- Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985–1986)
- Yogi's Great Escape (1987)
- Yogi and the Invasion of the Space Bears (1988)
- The New Yogi Bear Show (1988)
- A Pup Named Scooby-Doo (1988) (episode "The Story Stick")
- A Yabba Dabba Doo Celebration: 50 Years of Hanna-Barbera (1989)
- Yo Yogi! (1991) (voiced by Greg Burson)
- Yogi the Easter Bear (1994)
- Boo Boo Runs Wild and A Day in the Life of Ranger Smith (1999) (voiced by Corey Burton)
- Boo Boo and the Man (2000)
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law (2005) (episode "Identity Theft")
- Yogi Bear (2010) (portrayed by Tom Cavanagh)