|Region of origin||India|
|Look up Rani in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Rani (Hindi : रानी) is a Hindu/Sanskrit Indian feminine given name(sometimes spelled ranee), which means "duchess", "queen" and "sovereign", the term refers to female form of princely rulers in Southeast Asia which applies equally to the wife of a Raja or Rana.
Rani (Hebrew: רני) is also a nickname of the Israeli masculine name Ran, which used also by female, which means "[He] sings".
Notable people named Rani
- Rani (actress) (born December 8, 1946 – died May 27, 1993), Pakistani actress and model.
- Rani Agrawal (born June 14, 1991), Indian actress.
- Rani Bhabani (born 1716 – died 1795), Indian philanthropist and zamindar.
- Rani Chandra (born October 12, 1976), Indian actress and winner of the Miss Kerala pageant.
- Rani Chatterjee (born November 3, 1984), Indian actress, dancer and presenter.
- Rani Chitralekha Bhonsle (born February 26, 1941), Indian political and social worker.
- Rani Gaidinliu (born January 26, 1915 - died February 17, 1993), Indian activist, spiritual and political leader.
- Rani Hamid (born 1944), Bangladeshi chess player.
- Rani Karnaa (born 1939), Indian dancer.
- Rani Khedira (born January 27, 1994), German footballer.
- Rani Maria Vattalil (born January 29, 1954 - died 25 February 1995), Indian catholic religious, activist and missionary social worker.
- Rani Mukerji (born March 21, 1978) , Indian actress.
- Rani Mundiasti (born October 4, 1984), Indonesian badminton player.
- Rani Price (born January 29, 1974), English television presenter.
- Rani Rampal (born December 4, 1994), Indian field hockey player.
- Rani Rashmoni (born 1793 — died 1861), Indian activist, businesswoman, philanthropist, zamindars and founder of the Dakshineswar Kali Temple.
- Rani Sharone (born 1978), American bassist and guitarist.
- Rani Taj (born October 3, 1993), British-Pakistani dhol player.
- Rani Vijaya Devi (born 28 August 1922 - died December 8, 2005), Indian princess and musician.
- Rani Yahya (born September 12, 1984), Brazilian martial artist and BJJ practitioner.
Notable people surnamed Rani
- Devika Rani (born March 30, 1908 – died March 9, 1994), Indian actress, singer and textile designer.
- Pooja Rani (born February 17, 1991), Indian boxer.
- The Rani (Doctor Who), from British science-fiction television Doctor Who.
- Rani Chandra (The Sarah Jane Adventures), from 2007's British science fiction television The Sarah Jane Adventures.
- Rani, from Disney franchise Disney Fairies.
- Rani Kapoor, from Australian soap opera Neighbours.
- Rani Kumari, from 2007's New Zealand television Shortland Street.
|This given name–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|