Raniganj railway station
|Indian Railway Station|
Raniganj railway station nameplate
Station Road, Raniganj, Asansol, West Bengal|
|Elevation||92 metres (302 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Eastern Railway|
Howrah-Delhi main line
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Previous names||East Indian Railway Company|
Raniganj is a railway station on the Bardhaman-Asansol section. It is located in Asansol, Paschim Bardhaman district in the Indian state of West Bengal. It lies in the heart of Raniganj Coalfield and serves the neighbourhood of Raniganj in Asansol, and the surrounding mining-industrial area of Asansol.
"The entire belt between Durgapur (158 km from Howrah), and all the way up to Dhanbad and beyond is industrialized. Apart from factories, there are many coalmines, some closed now, and some with fires burning deep in the mineshafts. The mining area extends for a large area, mostly to the south of the tracks. Quite a portion of the track passes through cuttings, where the surrounding area is higher than the track level, resulting in the profusion of characteristic small masonry bridges crossing the tracks." This description is from "Gomoh loco shed and CLW trip record" by Samit Roychoudhury.
The first passenger train in eastern India ran from Howrah to Hooghly on 15 August 1854. The track was extended to Raniganj by 1855.
The Waria-Asansol sector was electrified in 1960-61.
- "Bardhaman-Asansol MEMU 63505". India Rail Info.
- "Asansol Division System Map". Eastern Railway. Archived from the original on 26 April 2016.
- "South Eastern Railway Pink Book 2017-18" (PDF). Indian Railways Pink Book.
- "Asansol Division Railway Map". Eastern Railway.
- "Adra Division Railway Map". South Eastern Railway.
- "Gomoh loco shed and CLW trip record". Indian Railway Reports. IRFCA). Missing or empty
- "IR History Part I 1832-1869". IRFCA. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
|Preceding station||Indian Railway||Following station|
|Eastern Railway zone|
|This article about a railway station in the Indian state of West Bengal is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|