This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Member of the Sri Lanka Parliament|
for Gampaha District
1 September 2015 – 12 January 2021
|Succeeded by||Ajith Mannapperuma|
|Majority||103,992 Preferential Votes|
|State Minister of Highways and Road Development|
21 December 2018 – 21 November 2019
|Prime Minister||Ranil Wickremesinghe|
|Deputy Minister of Social Empowerment & Welfare|
4 September 2015 – 26 October 2018
|Prime Minister||Ranil Wickremesinghe|
|Minister||S. B. Dissanayake|
|Deputy Minister of Social Services & Live Stock|
21 January 2015 – 17 August 2015
|Prime Minister||Ranil Wickremesinghe|
|Member of the Sri Lanka Parliament|
for Ratnapura District
22 April 2010 – 26 June 2015
|Majority||59,318 Preferential Votes|
|Leader of the opposition of the Sabaragamuwa Provincial Council|
23 August 2008 – 22 April 2010
Sadda Vidda Rajapakse Palanga Pathira Ambakumarage Ranjan Leo Sylvester Alphonsu
11 March 1963
Negombo, Sri Lanka
|Political party||Samagi Jana Balawegaya|
|Relations||Vijaya Kumaranatunga, Jeewan Kumaranatunga, Chandrika Kumaratunga, Carlo Fonseka|
|Residence||No D 4, MPP Housing Scheme, Madiwela, Sri Jayewardenepura, Kotte.|
|Alma mater||Maris Stella College|
Sadda Vidda Rajapakse Palanga Pathira Ambakumarage Ranjan Leo Sylvester Alphonsu (born 11 March 1963) (රන්ජන් රාමනායක), popularly known as Ranjan Ramanayake, is a Sri Lankan politician, actor, film director, singer and script writer who appeared in a number of Sinhala language films.He is a former Member of the Parliament.
He served as the State Minister of Highways and Road Development (2018–2019). He served as the Deputy Minister of Social Services, Welfare and Livestock Development Under Good Govenence in 2015 and Deputy Minister of Social Empowerment and Welfare from 2015 to 2018. Ramanayake has won the Sarasaviya Best Actor Award as well as being the Most Popular Actor consecutively for 16 years. He has appeared in over 75 Sinhalese films in genres ranging from romance to action and comedies, starting his career appearing in theatre, stage and several television series.
Ramanayake was born on 11 March 1964 in Negombo. He is the youngest in the family of two children, son of Simon Alphonsu, District Inspector at. He added 'Ramanayake' to his name as a reciprocation to the filmmaker Somaratne Ramanayake who helped him in building up his film career as lead actor.
In August 2019, he appeared in GCE A/L exam again after 1982 to pursue his later career as lawyer. On 27 December 2019, he went viral in the social media as he publicised his A/L results (2S & 1F). Subsequently he also qualified to study law after obtaining A pass for General English, S passes for Political Science and Communication media studies despite failing in Christianity subject.
Ramanayake's first leading role was in the commercial film Jaya Kothenada but his first film was Christhu Charithaya by Dr. Sunil Ariyaratne, which was in a crowded scene and maintained his status as a commercial film star through the 1990s. Ramanayake has occasionally branched out into more serious roles such as in Lester James Peries' Awaragira but continues to be known for his commercial roles. In 1998, he won the Sarasaviya Award for the Best Upcoming Actor for the film Hima Gira. He continued to be the Popular Actor in Sarasaviya Festival since 2002 to 2016, with a record 14 times.
Recently, he has taken more control over his commercial film roles working as a director and screenwriter on the popular Parliament Jokes, One Shot and Leader, breaking box office records with these films and becoming one of the most successful[peacock term] leading actors and directors of Sinhala cinema. Bandu Samarasinghe and Tennyson Cooray are frequent co-stars of Ramanayake.
He has sung in several films including Jaya Kothenada, Naralowa Holman, Love in Bangkok and others. His song "Ran Samanala Joduwa Wage" was a well-received among other songs.
He acted few television serials.
- Guru Geethaya
- Nil Mahanel
- Sagaraya Parada
- Sanda Kinduru
- Sath Sanda Kirana
- Sudu Mal Kanda
- Ulamage Rathriya
- Wishwa Gamana
- Allapu Gedara
Ramanayake was initially the electoral organiser of the Katana in the Gampaha Electoral District before becoming the electoral organiser in Balangoda. In 2008, Ramanayake contested for the position of Chief Minister on the Sabaragamuwa Provincial Council and became the opposition leader on the Council.
In 2010 he was elected to the Parliament from Ratnapura from United National party and has become one of the most spoken members of the parliament who worked as a major opposition activist against the former government of Sri Lanka. Being one of the leading vocal members, Ramanayake has given utmost support towards the party to bring victory at recent Presidential Election. He is currently appointed as the United National Party organiser of Divulapitiya in Gampaha. Ramanayake received highest number of preferential votes for the UNP in the Gampaha district, at the General Election on 17 August 2015, receiving a total of 216,463 votes.
A school teacher from Kandy accused Ramanayake of having swindled Rs. 1 million promising to marry her. Based on a complaint by the woman who accused, Criminal Investigation Department arrested Ramanayake in 2010. On 4 January 2020, he was arrested for having unlicensed firearm and several suspicious DVDs. He was released on bail on 5 January 2020 following the verdict from Magistrate court and he was also banned from travelling overseas.
Alleged threat to talk show host
On 2010, it was alleged that Ramanayake threatened the talk show host Dilka Samanmali of Derana TV following the Derana 360 talk show. Ramanayake has allegedly called Samanmali's parents over the phone and accused her of causing disrepute to him over the programme. He had also allegedly told the parents that harm may befall their daughter. Later, Ramanayake denied the allegation stating that all that he gave Dilka's father was a courtesy call. Ramanayake said that he did call Dilka Samanmali's father and complained that his daughter was being biased in her show
His telephone conversations with former CID director Shani Abeysekara and some high profile figures including judges were leaked in the media. Other several telephone conversations involving him were also leaked to the public and the recordings suggested that he used the law in unlawful manner to favour his government.
Contempt of Court
On Jan 12, 2021 Ranjan Ramanayake was sentenced to 4 years of rigorous imprisonment on the basis of contempt of court regarding his comments on the corruption of the judiciary.
|1987||Obatai Priye Adare||Sarath 'Malli'|
|1990||Dese Mal Pipila|
|1991||Love In Bangkok||Jackson|
|1991||Mama Obe Hithawatha|
|1991||Love in Bangkok|
|1992||Rajek Wage Puthek|
|1992||Salli Thibunata Madi|
|1993||Mawila Penevi Rupe Hade|
|1993||Come O' Go Chicago||Wickremasinghe Mudiyanselage Ranjan Karunanayake|
|1993||Lagin Giyoth Aehek Na|
|1993||Juriya Mamai||David / Inspector Vijay|
|1993||Sura Veera Chadiyo||Ranjan|
|1994||Rajawansen Ekek||Vijay / Sugath|
|1994||Okkoma Hondatai||Kamal Jayasekara|
|1994||Hello My Darling|
|1996||Naralowa Holman||Jonson 'Johnny' Salgadu|
|1997||Apaye Thappara 84000k|
|1997||Duwata Mawaka Misa|
|1998||Re Daniel Dawal Migel||Chandi Aiyya|
|1999||Ayadimi Sama||Ukku Banda|
|1999||Sathyadevi||Sathyajit Walisundara 'Sathyapala Wedisinghe'|||
|2000||Re Daniel Dawal Migel 2||Chandi Aiyya|||
|2001||Oba Kohida Priye||Priyantha|||
|2001||Jonsun and Gonsun||Sanjay Ranasinghe|
|2001||Rosa Wasanthe||Akila Sannasgala|||
|2002||Parliament Jokes||Lavaris 'Podi Eka'|
|2003||Vala In London||Suranga|
|2003||Yakada Pihatu||Romesh Jayawardena|
|2005||One Shot One||Vijaya 'One Shot'|
|2005||Alu Yata Gini|
|2006||Hiripoda Wassa||Cameo appearance|
|2009||Paya Enna Hiru Se||Suren and Suraj|
|2010||Suwanda Denuna Jeewithe||Cameo appearance|
|2011||Kiwwada Nahi Nokiwwada Nahi||Kalana|
|2013||Sri Siddhartha Gautama||King Suddhodana|
|2014||Ranja||Ranja / Ranjan|
|2014||Parapura||Madhava / Suranimala|
|2016||Hero Nero||Cameo appearance|
|2017||Dr. Nawariyan||Nirwan 'Nawariyan' Senanayake|||
|2018||Yalu Malu Yalu 2|
|TBD||Kondadeniye Hamuduruwo||Ven. Kondadeniye Thero|||
Ramanayake has won Sarasaviya Most Popuar Actor Award 4 times.
- Sarasaviya – Lux Awards – Most popular Upcoming Actor – 1990.
- Sarasaviya – Most popular New Actor – 1990.
- Sarasaviya Awards – Most Popular Film – 2002.
- Sarasaviya Awards – Most Popular Actor – 2001– 2005.
- Sarasaviya Awards – Best Actor – 2006.
- Signis Salutation – 2007 – Creative Performance (Male)- Nilambare.
- Signis Salutation – 2010 – Creative Performance (Male)- Paya enna hiruse.
- 1st Derana Film Awards 2011 – Most popular Actor.
- Slim Nielsen Peoples Actor of the Year, for the 10th consecutive year in 2016, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.
- Slim Nielsen Peoples Awards - for the 4th consecutive year in 2016. The Actor of the Youth Choice – 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017.
- Sirasa Dancing Stars – Finalist Dancing Stars.
- 3rd Derana Film Awards 2015 – Most Popular Actor.
- 5th Derana Film Awards 2017 – Most Popular Actor.
- "This is new political culture – Ranjan". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- Ramesh Uvais (16 May 2005). "Will 'One Shot' be banned?". DailyMirror e-edition. Wijeya Newspapers. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- admin (5 August 2019). "State Minister Ranjan sits for the A/L exam". Colombo Gazette. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- "Ranjan Ramanayake publicises A/L results – Sri Lanka Latest News". Sri Lanka News – Newsfirst. 28 December 2019. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- admin (27 December 2019). "Ranjan goes public with his A/L results". Colombo Gazette. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- "AL results: Ranjan qualifies to study law". dailymirror.lk. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- "Peoples' Hero". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "Ranjan Meets Rajini,Kamal,Shankar and Build a India Sri Lanka Cinematic Bridge". Sundaytimes.lk. 29 April 2016. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- "Bermin brings a rare tale". Sunday Times. Retrieved 22 December 2019.
- ""Sandakinduru": another love story". Sunday Times. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- "Sanda Kinduru comes on screen". Sunday Times. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- "'Santhuwaranaya' : A story of sacrifice". Sunday Times. Retrieved 29 September 2019.
- "'Sath Sanda Kirana' goes in search of a dancer wife". Sunday times. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- "'Sudu Mal Kanda': A love story". Sunday times. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- "'Ulamage Rathriya' reveals the country's past". Sunday times. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- "Ranjan promises to deliver Sabaragamuwa in one shot". The Sunday Leader Online. Leader Publications (Pvt). Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- Chandrika Perera and Suraj A. Bandara (15 October 2010). "Ranjan Ramanayake arrested". Daily News. Lake House. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "JUST IN: UNP MP Ranjan Ramanayake arrested – Sri Lanka Latest News". Sri Lanka News – Newsfirst. 4 January 2020. Retrieved 9 January 2020.
- "Ranjan Ramanayake given bail | Daily FT". www.ft.lk. Retrieved 9 January 2020.
- "VIDEO:Ranjan threatens Dilka over Derana 360 programme". Ada Derana. 30 August 2010. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- Ishtartha Wellaboda. "Ranjan Ramanayake denies threatening talk show host (n.d.)". Nation.lk. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- adaderana.lk http://www.adaderana.lk/news_intensedebate.php?nid=60087. Retrieved 9 January 2020. Missing or empty
- "Several more voice recordings of Ranjan Ramanayake leaked – Sri Lanka Latest News". Sri Lanka News – Newsfirst. 8 January 2020. Retrieved 9 January 2020.
- "All about Kristhu Charithaya". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 22 February 2020.
- ""Bahu Bhariya" cleared for adults". Sunday Times. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- "'Sathyadevi' comes wit a human touch". The Sunday Times. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- "Daniel and Migel appear again". Sunday times. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- "'Oba Koheda Priye': Story of deceit and intrigue". Sunday Times. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "'Parasathu Uyana' gets Udayakantha's touch". Sunday Times. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Super Star of our cinema". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- "Siritunga gives life to Kondadeniye Hamuduruwo". Daily News. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- "10 years consecutive". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- Ranjan Ramanayake on IMDb
- මගේ ජීවිතය ආදරෙන් පිරිලා
- රන්ජන් රාමනායක ‘හදවත’ හෙළි කරයි
- මේ සියල්ල ජනතාව මට දීලා තියෙන්නේ ඔවුන් වෙනුවෙන් වැඩ කරන්න
- ගම්පහින් වැඩිම මනාප ලැබූ ආදරණීය සටන්කාමියා
- අද පරපුරේ ජවය මදි ‘ස්ලිම් නීල්සන්’ ජනතා සම්මාන ද්විත්වයෙන් පුද ලැබූ සුපිරි නළු රන්ජන් රාමනායක
- සිංහල සිනමාවේ සුපිරි වීරයා සමඟ අසංක දේවමිත්ර පෙරේරා උණුසුම් කතාබහක...
- Dawn of another hit
- පාර්ලිමේන්තු ජෝක්ස් කතා පෙළක් දැන් කරතහැකියි