Rannvijay's father is an army officer with the Indian Army, making Rannvijay’s six generation male ancestors to be directly related to the Indian Army. He changed nine schools, as his father's transfers of service in the army required the family to keep on moving to different places within India, even as he did a major part of his schooling from a boarding school. He attended the Army Public School Dhaula Kuan in New Delhi and graduated from Hans Raj College,Delhi University.
Although he was all set to join the Indian Army after passing the exams and clearing the medical test, he just happened to participate in an adventure reality TV show on MTV India, MTV Roadies Season 1 in 2003 and emerged as a finalist. He said in an interview with Zee News, “Frankly speaking, I never wanted to come under the spotlight. I took up Roadies because I wanted to win the bike Karizma, which, according to me, is the best bike. So, destiny took its turn and I became what I am today.” Thereafter, MTV offered him to host the same show. He has been associated with MTV and the show Roadies since then. He elaborated, “If not the entertainment industry, I would have definitely joined the Army - like everybody else in my family. We have all served the nation. And I was on my way to joining the Army when Roadies happened.” MTV India roped him in to host some other shows like MTV Stuntmania, MTV Splitsvilla Season 1, MTV The Fast and The Gorgeous and MTV Teen Diva. He also made a brief appearance in MTV Splitsvilla Season 2. Rannvijay is currently hosting the 11th season of the MTV Roadies show, MTV Roadies X2 that started airing from January 2015 and is currently running. About experience of the show, he said, "The travel itself turned out to be an exhilarating experience. My memorable moment will always remain the bike journey across Arunachal Pradesh with Raghu." Rannvijay was also part of the MTV Show RannVJRun which featured Rannvijay, Anshuman Jeswal & Rishabh Dhir, which is a 10 episode series in which Rannvijay goes to 10 different locations across the world and try Extreme Sports. Singh will appear in the Hindi military TV serial Pukaar.
Rannvijay said in an interview with Glamsham.com, "When I forayed into television, I was very sure that I would somehow now do films." Although he has acted in several films, hardly any of his movies proved to be a major hit at the box office. He made his Bollywood debut with the film Toss: A Flip of Destiny that was released in August 2009 and also featured Aarti Chhabria and Ashmit Patel. The same year, his next movie, London Dreams was released in October, which was a big budget production and also starred some of the biggest Bollywood actors like Salman Khan, Ajay Devgan and Asin. His recent film was sharafat gai tel lene 2015
He was subsequently seen in the film Direct Dil Se, which was released in January 2010. His next major work was for Vipul Shah's November 2010 film, Action Replayy that featured top Indian actors like Akshay Kumar and Aishwarya Rai. In an interview with Zee News, he expressed, "Dancing with Aishwarya in the film has been one of the best experiences that I will always cherish. It will be the most memorable."
In April 2011, Rannvijay made his debut in the Punjabi film industry with the political thriller Dharti, where he worked with actors like Jimmy Shergill and Prem Chopra. The same year in September, his next Hindi film Mod was released, where he played the male lead opposite Ayesha Takia.
Continuing his work for Punjabi movies, he next starred in Eros Entertainment & Jimmy Shergill Productions' Taur mittran Di, which hit the big screens in May 2012 and also featured Amrinder Gill. He was again roped in by Eros Entertainment & Jimmy Sheirgill Productions for a guest appearance in the January 2013 Punjabi film Saadi Love Story.
Rannvijay worked for Reliance Communications for a series of television commercials with leading Bollywood actress, Anushka Sharma. All these advertisements, directed by Shoojit Sircar, were a part of Reliance's Mera vs Tera (Mine vs Yours) Campaign, where Rannvijay plays the Tera (Yours) network, competing with Anushka's Mera (Mine) network that's Reliance. Rannvijay said about the campaign, "While we are shooting it, we're all having a lot of fun. It's very today. It also portrays little bickering that is common in every relationship." He also commented, "I'm shooting with Anushka for the first time. I found out that she's also an army officer's daughter. We're having a great time shooting." The first advertisement was released in April 2012 for Reliance unlimited talk time offer which was shot in a car where Rannvijay and Anushka are seen complaining about each other on their phones. The two were next seen in Reliance's instant call connection commercial. The advertisement was shot in a house and the theme was about sending birthday greetings to Rannvijay's mother. The subsequent advertisement was about making call at zero balance, where Rannvijay wants to call his boss but Anushka uses that call to modify her order for chocolate brownies. Next appeared the advertisement focusing on the mobile service provider's coverage in elevators. The next advertisement, released for Reliance Netconnect in June 2012 with theme of faster download speeds was shot in a coffee shop. In the ensuing commercial, Rannvijay talks to Anushka about the customer base, sipping juice at a bar. Shot a restaurant, his next commercial focuses on bill of Internet usage. In the succeeding advertisement, Rannvijay is seen probing Anuskha about the presence of Reliance Netconnect service is different cities. Next month, Reliance released a commercial for Reliance 3G Tab V9A, where Rannvijay tries to distress Anushka. Rannvijay's next commercial, released in September 2012, described about a Reliance's postpaid plan.
In May 2011, Rannvijay was hired by Pond's for the launch of Pond's White Beauty Blemish Prevention UV Cream where he hosted a paintball competition as a part of the company's "Fun in the sun" campaign at New Delhi.
Supporting the "Save the girl child" cause, he played a cricket match in Jaipur with celebrities like Nagesh Kukunoor, Rajiv Laxman, Nikhil Chinappa, Vikas Bhalla , Siddharth Bhardwaj and Akash Lakde among others in August 2011.
He partnered with Great Rocksport Pvt Ltd. in 2012 to start his first major business venture - Rocksport Challenge. This new venture introduces India to lifestyle adventure running that brings them closer to nature. The Rocksport Challenge was announced on 5 September 2012, to coincide with Teachers Day.
Personal life and Relationships
Rannvijay is passionate about motorcycles and described his infatuation to The Times of India in an interview in June 2010, "Years back, I took part in Roadies just to lay my hands on the bike that was the winning prize. I have five bikes to myself, some of which are so big that you can't ride them around." In June 2012, he had bumped up the number of his motorcycles to eight. He detailed, "When you enjoy something it's not a chore. Like if I am traveling for a shoot then I send my stuff in a car and ride (on motorcycle) to the location."
Since he is associated with an adventure reality TV show, he actually performs the tasks that the contestants are put through - be it skating on ice rinks or dodging horses. Although he looks authoritative on his reality TV shows, he conflicted, "Some times the participants get scared as we strongly argue to find out if they are fooling us but they also respect me when I do all the stunts to teach them." About his personal nature, he explained, "I don't get angry at all. I am very patient. I am pretty chilled out and keep cracking jokes with people. I love to laugh." He loves to be social and has got a wide network of friends throughout the country and also got affectionate cousins and an extended family who live in London and Canada. He also loves to collect shoes and said, "You will be surprised to hear that I have about 150 pairs of shoes." He likes to dress up casually in denims and T-shirts.
About relationships he opened up in an interview with Double Spring Media in May 2012, "I have been dating ever since I was 15. And dating was never an issue for me. But right now I am single after a very long time. Being single makes me feel liberated and independent and I am loving it." His most notable relationship was with Indian Australian TV presenter, actress and singer, Anusha Dandekar. However, in late 2009, they both claimed that they are not a couple anymore, though they still continue to be friends.
Describing about the type of girls that interests him, he said, "An adventurous woman is always much more attractive to me. I mean she might not be a pro at games but someone who wants to just enjoy a sport reflects that a girl wants to live life king size. One always wants to be in such company." He is a supporter of live-in relationships and said, "Practically speaking, it is one of the best ways to find out if you are compatible with the other person or not. And it is even more important for a couple who are planning to get married. When you are dating, you often meet them for a couple of hours but it is only when you are staying with the person you truly get to know them."
- Khanna, Aamit (December 1, 2011). "Travel is an inseparable part of my life: Ranvijay Singh". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Delhi is an International City: Rannvijay Singh". 7 November 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Das, Soumitra (Jun 15, 2012). "Rannvijay Singh is too busy for a relationship". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- Talwar, Tanu (February 11, 2009). "Single but not ready to mingle, says VJ Ranvijay". Zee News Limited (An Essel Group Company)/Spicezee.com. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Rannvijay's quite a sport". The Times of India. Apr 19, 2009. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Roadies celebrate a decade of twists and turns". The Times of India. TNN. Jan 19, 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Pukaar is a homecoming for me" - Rannvijay". Mid Day. November 12, 2014.
- Sharma, Ritesh. "Interview : Rannvijay". Fifth Quarter Infomedia Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Toss - A Flip Of Destiny Cast and Crew". Fifth Quarter Infomedia Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Bollywood » Movies » London Dreams". Greynium Information Technologies Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Jha, Subhash K (Sep 7, 2009). "Salman, Devgan, Asin make music!". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Direct Dil Se". Hungama Digital Media Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Action Replayy". Sawf News. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Daily soaps? No way, says Rannvijay". Zee News Limited. July 18, 2012. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Movies List". Cinema Punjabi. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "'Mod' will now release Oct 14". Sulekha.com. September 29, 2011. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Taur Mittran Di". Cinema Punjabi. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Jimmy Sheirgill’s Saadi Love Story being promoted by Bollywood celebs". punjabgold. December 7, 2012. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Reliance Mobile - Mera vs. Tera Network Making.". reliancemobile on Youtube. Apr 13, 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Mere Network pe Unlimited TalkTime.". reliancemobile on Youtube. Apr 13, 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Mere Network pe Connect at one go.". reliancemobile on Youtube. Apr 13, 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Mere Network pe make One Call at Zero Balance.". reliancemobile on Youtube. Apr 13, 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Mere Network pe Total Coverage anywhere.". reliancemobile on Youtube. Apr 13, 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Reliance Netconnect - Fastest Dongle". reliancemobile on Youtube. Jun 19, 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Reliance Netconnect - Number One". reliancemobile on Youtube. Jun 19, 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Reliance Netconnect - My Best Plan - Lowest Bill Guaranteed". reliancemobile on Youtube. Jun 21, 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Reliance Netconnect - Coverage". reliancemobile on Youtube. Jun 19, 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Reliance 3G Tab V9A TVC - Multitask (20 sec)". reliancemobile on Youtube. Jul 20, 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Reliance Mobile - Unlimited Postpaid Plans". reliancemobile on Youtube. Sep 17, 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- Gupta, Pradip (May 28, 2011). "Ladies, do you wanna paint Rannvijay?". The Times of India. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- Das, Soumitra (Jun 19, 2012). "Rannvijay gets a grand welcome in Vadodara!". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "What keeps Rannvijay charged?". The Times of India. TNN. Mar 8, 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "I’m single & ready to mingle: Ranvijay". The Times of India. TNN. Jun 7, 2010. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Rannvijay to join B-town's biker club". The Times of India. TNN. Apr 17, 2010. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- LAKHLANI, KRUTI (Aug 17, 2011). "Rannvijay turns shy for Mod". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- Nahata, Priyanka (May 21, 2011). "VJ Ranvijay gets talking about life and more". Double Spring Media (P) Ltd. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Rannvijay's ex-files". The Times of India. TNN. Dec 23, 2009. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rannvijay Singh.|