Nehme went to school at Collège Notre Dame de Jamhour and studied in France at Ecole polytechnique (engineering with a major in economics) and Mines ParisTech (engineering with a major in scientific management). He is a part of the Greek-Catholic community.
In January 2020, he was appointed minister of economy and trade by Prime Minister Hassan Diab. He joined the government under the Free Patriotic Movement ticket, though he is not a member of this party himself.
Prior to his appointment in the government, he worked in the banking industry. He has had experience handling several establishment in crisis:
- BLC bank (Lebanon) board member (2008–2015) and general manager (2010-2015), after it was put in receivership by the BDL due to mismanagement
- T-bank (Turkey) chairman of the board, brought in after the latter was severely affected by the economic crisis.
- AstroBank (Cyprus) chairman of the executive committee (2017–present). He was also a board member on USB bank, a predecessor entity to AstroBank.
- Bank Med (Lebanon) executive general manager (June 2018 – Jan 2020).
Minister of Economy
His nomination as minister of economy came as Lebanon was experiencing a double political and economic crisis that resulted in a default on March 9, 2020. The general situation was further complicated by the coincident COVID-19 pandemic. As minister of economy, Nehme introduced measures to protect the consumer by limiting abusive price increases, banning exportation of critical medical equipment and implementing measures to mitigate the propagating of the SARS-CoV-2.
- "T-BANK". en.tbank.com.tr. Retrieved 2020-03-15.
- "Jouzour Loubnan Member Team". Jouzour Loubnan.
- "S&P lowers Lebanon to 'selective default', says restructuring could be lengthy". Reuters. 2020-03-12. Retrieved 2020-03-15.
- March 2020, Naharnet Newsdesk 05; 11:00. "Nehme, Najm Affirm 'Practical' Steps on Consumer Protection". Naharnet. Retrieved 2020-03-15.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- February 2020, Naharnet Newsdesk 22; 10:15. "Lebanon Bans Export of Protective Equipment after Coronavirus Reveal". Naharnet. Retrieved 2020-03-15.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- March 2020, Naharnet Newsdesk 14; 14:42. "Nehme Seeks Virus Spread Limitation at Grocery Stores". Naharnet. Retrieved 2020-03-15.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
| List of Ministers of Economy and Trade (Lebanon)