Rapelang Rabana is a computer scientist, entrepreneur, and keynote speaker. She is currently the Chief Digital Officer of BCX; the founder of Rekindle Learning, a learning technology company; and previously co-founded Yeigo Communications, South Africa's first free VoIP mobile services provider.
Early life and education
Rapelang was born in Gaborone, Botswana. She started her schooling in Gaborone before moving to Johannesburg and attended Roedean School. Rapelang graduated with honours from the University of Cape Town in 2005 with a bachelor's degree in Business Science with a specialty in Computer Science.
After graduating from university, Rabana co-created the VoIP mobile application called Yeigo in 2007. A year later, in 2008, Telfree bought most of Yeigo's shares. Rabana was later chosen as the leader of Telfree's Research and Development department. In 2012, Rabana created an entertainment website called Tomplaygo. The following year, in 2013, Rabana started a company called Rekindle Learning, which focuses on online education. In November 2017, Rapelang was named Chief Digital Officer of BCX.
In 2012, she was on Oprah Magazine's O Power List. In 2013, she was listed on Forbes's 30 under 30 list for best entrepreneurs of Africa. In 2014, Rapelang was named one of the Entrepreneurs of the World by the World Entrepreneurship Forum
Rapelang was invited to join the World Economic Forum 2012 Annual Meeting in Davos. She was also selected as a Global Shaper by the World Economic Forum. She is an Ambassador and Juror for the United Nations World Summit Awards. Rapelang gave the keynote address at Gartner Symposium 2015 in Cape Town.
- Jackson, Tom (April 1, 2015). "Rekindle Learning aims to be at centre of African education in 10 years". Disrupt-africa.com. Retrieved July 4, 2015.
- Palet, Laura Secorun. "A Plan to Turn Africa's Mobile Phones Into Classrooms". ozy.com. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- "Rapelang Rabana". whoswho.co.za. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- Soetan, Folake. "Exclusive Interview With The Quintessential Rapelang Rabana, Founding Partner, Yeigo". venturesafrica.com. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "Rapelang Rabana". weforum.org. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "Rapelang Rabana co-founder and CEO Yeigo Communications South Africa". africanmillionaire.net/. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- Dudley, Deanme (August 2014). "Sisters doing it for themselves". Skyways. p. 34. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- "Business-minded Rapelang Rabana is conquering the world". mediaclubsouthafrica.com. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- Nsehe, Mfonobong. "30 Under 30: Africa's Best Young Entrepreneurs". forbes.com. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "« Entrepreneurs for the world »: The World Entrepreneurship Forum awards its prizes for 2014" (PDF). lyon2014.world-entrepreneurship-forum.com. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- Gartner Symposium/ITxpo, 28–30 September 2015, Cape Town, SA, retrieved 2016-09-11