|Born||1971 (age 45–46)|
|Known for||Art-based research|
Raphaële Bidault-Waddington (born 1971) is an artist-researcher and writer based in Paris, France, who frequently collaborates with universities, companies and city authorities around the world.
Bidault-Waddington operates from three artistic laboratories (LIID / Laboratoire d'Ingénierie d'IDées, PIIMS / Petite Industrie de l'IMage Sensorielle, and Raffinerie Poétique) to pursue her research on urban development, immaterial economy, images, value and knowledge. As a post-conceptual artist, her statement has been since 2000 that Art is a multifaceted way of thinking and experimenting that has a value far beyond the art domain.
These laboratories' output includes exhibitions, workshops, conferences, artist talks and publications. Her work is often financed by structures outside the art world such as a corporation who aims to benefit from the knowledge production mechanisms surrounding art as a force of creation and renewal. In this instance, the artist's laboratory acts as service enterprise for which she develops particular research tools such as the aesthetic audit, an experimental audit method she applies to both corporations and cities. The findings of her research can take the form of texts, conceptual diagrams, image compositions or site-specific installations.
In the spring of 2008, Bidault-Waddington ran for mayor of the 3rd arrondissement in Paris (Le Marais) for the Democratic Movement. She was defeated by Pierre Aidenbaum from the Socialist Party.
Bidault-Waddington is a member of the New Club of Paris, an international network of immaterial economy and innovation experts.
Idea Engineering Laboratory / Laboratoire d'Ingénierie d'IDées (LIID)
LIID was founded in the year 2000 by Raphaële Bidault-Waddington.
In 2003, an extensive study on the future of Christiania mapped out the path LIID ® would later continue on, mixing Art, Economy and urban development.
Its most notable project to this day is Paris Galaxies, an ongoing future research about the making of the Greater Paris by 2030. Paris Galaxies is attached to the Pantheon-Sorbonne University's ACTE Institute and was awarded the Paris 2030 research grant (City of Paris) in 2012 (period 2013–14) and again in 2014 (period 2015–16). This project includes an "aesthetic audit" of the artistic constellation of the Greater Paris (beyond the Périphérique Bd), and a series of experimental research workshops at the Paris College of Art, Campus Fonderie de l'Image school, Ecole d'Architecture Paris Belleville, CNAM, and the Atelier International du Grand Paris, such as the Grand Paris Futur Lab.
Since 2012, LIID collaborates every year with Peclers Future Trends to co-create their global forecasts (Cahier Futur(s) 12-16) and urban prospective studies.
Other notable partners of LIID are or have been the SciencesPo School in Paris, Architecture Faculty of Republica University in Montevideo, Aalto University in Helsinki, Institute for the Future in Palo Alto California, the Center for Molecular Medicine in Stockholm and Tongji University in Shanghai.
Between 2009 and 2011, Bidault-Waddington regularly contributed to Tale(s) Magazine where she was appointed editor-in-chief of the Vision section dedicated to art, architecture, ideas and literature.
- Cities Methodologies, UCL Urban Laboratory at the Slade Research Center, London, 2013
- Paris Galaxies, a vision for the Greater Paris", Paris College of Art, 2012
- Mental Matter, Espace d'En Bas, Paris, 2011
- The Incidental Person (after John Latham), curated by Antony Hudek, apexart, New York, 2010
- My Small Enterprise, Centre d'art contemporain, Meymac, 2003
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2015). "Re-humanize Value", and "Foster Togetherness". In Peclers Future Trend FUTUR(S) 15.
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2014). L'Ombre du Doute, in Cahiers Européens de l'Imaginaire, Issue "Fake", Editions CNRS.
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2014). "Augmented Expression", in Peclers Future Trend FUTUR(S) 14.
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2014). "Paris Galaxies, Aesthetic Audit critical report", in Beyond Frames, Cultural and Creative Industries, Knowledge Institutions and the Urban Environment, Antwerp University, 140-146.
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2013). "Leading Change" In Peclers Future Trend FUTUR(S) 13.
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2013). "Les mots du ciel" (semantic tale). In Espace(s) Numéro 9, 195–198.
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2013). "Playground" (future fiction), Revue Dorade n°5, Paris-Genève.
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2012). Chaoïsme. In Peclers Future Trend FUTUR(S) 12, 15–29, 38–47, 56–64.
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2012). "Paris Galaxy Inc.: A Conceptual Model and Holistic Strategy Toward Envisioning Urban Development". In Parsons Journal for Information Mapping Volume IV, Issue 1. Retrieved 16 May 2014, from http://piim.newschool.edu/journal/issues/2012/01/
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2011). Innovation: le rôle de l'art dans les territoires. Retrieved 8 May 2014, from www.metropolitiques.eu
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2009). Expo Shanghai 2010: quelques idées pour sortir le Pavillon Français du creux. Retrieved 8 May 2014, from www.lemonde.fr
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2007). Se réinventer et se projeter dans l'avenir grâce à l'art. In Musso, P., Ponthou, L., Seuillet, E. (Ed.): Fabriquer le futur 2, l'imaginaire au service de l'innovation (pp. 271–273). Pearson, France.
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2006). An experimental aesthetic audit of a city within a city: the case of Christiania. In: Carrillo, Francisco Javier (Ed.): Knowledge Cities: Approaches, Experiences, and Perspectives (pp. 177–187). Burlington, MA: Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2005). Speculation sur Valeur-Image, hypothèse de travail (conceptual diagrams). In Marges, Issue 5 (pp. 59–65). Presses Universitaires, Vincennes.
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2002). Aesthetic Intelligence Yield, conceptual diagram, C Magazine, Toronto.
- Bidault-Waddington, R. (2000). L'Intelligence Esthétique au service de l'entreprise", Ideas section, Les Echos (25 Avril 2000).
- 1. Bidault-Waddington, R. (2000). L'intelligence esthétique au service de l'entreprise. Les Echos, Journal quotidien économique et financière, 25 April 2000, 72.
- 2. Bidault-Waddington, R. (2006): An experimental aesthetic audit of a city within a city: the case of Christiania. In: Carrillo, Francisco Javier (Ed.): Knowledge Cities: Approaches, Experiences, and Perspectives (pp. 177–187).
- 3. 3. Bidault-Waddington, R. (2013). Matière Grise (series of conceptual diagrams). Dorade Magazine No. 5, 2013, 258–265.
- 4. http://www.leparisien.fr/resultats/elections-municipales-2008-paris-75003.php. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- Paris College of Art, http://www.paris.edu
- Atelier International du Grand Paris, http://www.ateliergrandparis.fr/
- Goodwill ®: Bidault-Waddington's online platform to orchestrate her artistic research laboratories
- Idea Engineering Laboratory (LIID)
- Paris Galaxies, A Vision for the Greater Paris
- Bidault-Waddington's research partnership with Paris College of Art
- Bidault-Waddington's LIID ® on ArteSur
- Tale(s) Magazine