July 19, 1982 |
Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil
|Height||5 ft 5.5 in (1.66 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Reach||67.5 in (171 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Team||Ascension Mixed Martial Arts|
|Rank||Black Belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Notable relatives||Junior Assunção, brother|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Raphael O. Assunção (born July 19, 1982) is a Brazilian mixed martial artist who competes in the Bantamweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). As of August 17, 2015, he is #3 in the official UFC bantamweight rankings and ranked the #5 Bantamweight in the world by Sherdog.
Originally from Recife in Brazil, now lives and trains in Atlanta with Ascension MMA under Manu N'toh. He is also the brother of Júnior Assunção and Freddy Assunção who also fight as mixed martial artists.
Mixed martial arts career
World Extreme Cagefighting
Ultimate Fighting Championship
On October 28, 2010, World Extreme Cagefighting merged with the Ultimate Fighting Championshipa. As part of the merger, all WEC fighters were transferred to the UFC.
Assunção was expected to face Manvel Gamburyan on March 19, 2011 at UFC 128, but Gamburyan was forced out of the bout with a back injury and replaced by Erik Koch. He lost the fight via KO in the first round.
Assunção faced Mike Easton on December 8, 2012 at UFC on Fox 5, replacing an injured Bryan Caraway. He won the fight via unanimous decision despite suffering a broken arm during the first round.
Assunção was expected to face T.J. Dillashaw on September 4, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 28. However, the pairing was delayed and was rescheduled for a future event due to a minor medical issue for Assunção. The bout with Dillashaw was rescheduled and took place on October 9, 2013, at UFC Fight Night 29. Assunção defeated Dillashaw via split decision. The back and forth action earned both the participants Fight of the Night honors.
Assunção was expected to face Francisco Rivera at UFC 170. However, Rivera was forced from the bout due to a hand injury. Assunção instead faced touted UFC newcomer Pedro Munhoz. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Assunção was briefly linked to a Bantamweight Championship bout against Renan Barão on May 24, 2014 at UFC 173. However, Assunção opted to decline the bout as a rib injury sustained in his last bout at UFC 170 had not healed enough to resume the proper training in advance of the event. Barão instead faced, and was ultimately defeated by T.J. Dillashaw.
Assunção faced Bryan Caraway on October 4, 2014 at UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Saffiedine. He doubled the numbers of strikes Caraway threw and caught him with knees to win a unanimous decision victory.
On December 22, 2014, Assunção announced that he had suffered a broken ankle during training that would not require surgery, but is expected to be sidelined for up to 10 weeks.
A rematch with perennial contender Urijah Faber was expected to headline UFC Fight Night 62 on March 21, 2015. However, Assunção was forced out of the bout as an ankle first injured in mid-December of 2014 was slow to heal and that he was unable to resume the proper training to prepare for the fight in that time frame. Subsequently in August 2015, Assunção's management team announced that he would undergo surgery on the ankle and hoped to return by the end of the year.
Championships and achievements
Mixed martial arts
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|27 matches||23 wins||4 losses|
|Win||23–4||Bryan Caraway||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Saffiedine||October 4, 2014||3||5:00||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Win||22–4||Pedro Munhoz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 170||February 22, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||21–4||T.J. Dillashaw||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Shields||October 9, 2013||3||5:00||Barueri, Brazil||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||20–4||Vaughan Lee||Submission (armbar)||UFC on Fuel TV: Nogueira vs. Werdum||June 8, 2013||2||1:51||Fortaleza, Brazil|
|Win||19–4||Mike Easton||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz||December 8, 2012||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Win||18–4||Issei Tamura||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman||July 11, 2012||2||0:25||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||17–4||Johnny Eduardo||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 134||August 27, 2011||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Bantamweight debut.|
|Loss||16–4||Erik Koch||KO (punch)||UFC 128||March 19, 2011||1||2:32||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||16–3||L.C. Davis||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 52||November 11, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||15–3||Diego Nunes||Decision (split)||WEC 49||June 20, 2010||3||5:00||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Loss||15–2||Urijah Faber||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WEC 46||January 10, 2010||3||3:49||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||15–1||Yves Jabouin||Decision (split)||WEC 43||October 10, 2009||3||5:00||San Antonio, Texas, United States|
|Win||14–1||Jameel Massouh||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 40||April 5, 2009||3||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||13–1||Joe Pearson||TKO (punches)||IHC 12: Resurrection||November 8, 2008||1||0:12||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||12–1||Aaron Williams||Submission (armbar)||AFL: Eruption||March 7, 2008||1||3:22||Lexington, Kentucky, United States|
|Win||11–1||Kevin Gittemeir||Decision (unanimous)||ISCF: Head-On Collision||June 1, 2007||3||5:00||Kennesaw, Georgia, United States|
|Win||10–1||Tyler Grunwald||Submission (triangle choke)||ISCF: Battle of Rome 2||April 21, 2007||1||0:56||Rome, Georgia, United States|
|Loss||9–1||Jeff Curran||Decision (majority)||XFO 13: Operation Beatdown||November 11, 2006||3||5:00||Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States|
|Win||9–0||James Birdsley||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Border Warz||October 14, 2006||3||1:42||Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States|
|Win||8–0||Nick Mamalis||Submission (armbar)||ROF 26: Relentless||September 9, 2006||1||3:35||Castle Rock, Colorado, United States|
|Win||7–0||Joe Lauzon||Submission (armbar)||Absolute Fighting Championships 15||February 18, 2006||2||4:37||Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States|
|Win||6–0||William McGlothlin||Submission (guillotine choke)||Full Throttle 4||September 9, 2005||2||3:58||Duluth, Georgia, United States|
|Win||5–0||Jorge Masvidal||Decision (unanimous)||Full Throttle 1||April 21, 2005||3||5:00||Duluth, Georgia, United States|
|Win||4–0||Brandon Bledsoe||Submission (armbar)||ISCF: Compound Fracture 2||February 4, 2005||1||2:31||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||3–0||Chad Lawshe||Submission (guillotine choke)||ISCF: Compound Fracture||October 15, 2004||1||0:54||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||2–0||Scott Johnson||Submission (armbar)||ISCF: Anarchy in August 2||August 7, 2004||1||2:41||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||1–0||Chris Clark||TKO (punches)||ISCF: Friday Night Fight||January 23, 2004||1||N/A||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
- "Raphael Assuncao - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved October 5, 2014.
- [dead link]
- "Fighter Rankings - UFC ®". Ufc.ca. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Sherdog's Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". sherdog.com.
- John Morgan (2009-03-01). "Rafael Assuncao vs. Jameel Massouh added to WEC 40". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- Maggie Hendricks (2009-04-05). "Assuncao wins with unanimous decision". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- "WEC confirms latest changes, "WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson" fight card set". mmajunkie.com. 2009-09-25. Retrieved 2009-09-25.
- "WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson on October 10 in San Antonio, Texas". MMAFrenzy.com. 2009-01-02. Retrieved 2009-08-29.
- "WEC 46 Fight Announcement: Urijah Faber v. Raphael Assuncao". sbnation.com. 2009-10-29. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- "Faber taps Assuncao during WEC 46". fiveouncesofpain.com. 2010-01-11. Retrieved 2010-01-11.
- "Rafael Assuncao vs. Diego Nunes in the works for WEC 49 preliminary card". mmajunkie.com. 2010-04-30.
- "Raphael Assuncao vs. L.C. Davis targeted for WEC 52 in November". mmajunkie.com. 2010-09-22. Retrieved 2010-09-22.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Gamburyan vs. Assuncao Official For UFC 128". MMAWeekly.com. 2011-01-13.
- "Manny Gamburyan Pulls Out Of UFC 128". mmafighting.com. February 25, 2011.
- "Erik Koch vs. Raphael Assuncao In The Works for UFC 128 in New Jersey". mmaweekly.com. February 26, 2011.
- "Raphael Assuncao vs. Johnny Eduardo added to UFC 134 prelims". mmajunkie.com. July 18, 2011.
- "Assuncao out 6 months possibly". mmajunkie. August 31, 2011.
- "Raphael Assuncao-Issei Tamura Booked for UFC on Fuel TV 4 in July". heavy.com. May 14, 2012.
- Steven Marrocco (2012-07-11). "UFC on FUEL TV 4 results: Raphael Assuncao pounds out Issei Tamura in second". News. mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Raphael Assuncao replaces Bryan Caraway, faces Mike Easton at UFC on FOX 5". mmajunkie. November 21, 2012.
- "Pic: Raphael Assuncao's broken arm suffered in win over Mike Easton at UFC on FOX 5". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Mookie Alexander (April 4, 2013). "Raphael Assuncao vs. Vaughan Lee slated for UFC on Fuel 10". bloodyelbow.com.
- Mike Chiapette (2013-06-08). "UFC on FUEL 10 results: Raphael Assuncao taps out Vaughn Lee, says he wants a title shot". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- Christoffer Esping (July 12, 2013). "TJ Dillashaw möter Raphael Assuncao på UFC on FOX Sports 1 #3". mmanytt.se.
- Kelsey Mowatt (July 14, 2013). "Raphael Assuncao vs. T.J. Dillashaw Delayed". cagedinsider.com.
- Mookie Alexander (2013-08-14). "Raphael Assuncao vs. T.J. Dillashaw rescheduled for UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Shields". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- Andrew Potter (2013-10-09). "UFC Fight Night 29 Results: Raphael Assuncao keeps title aspirations alive, defeats TJ Dillashaw". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- Mike Whitman (2013-10-13). "UFC Fight Night 29 Bonuses: Assuncao, Dillashaw, Kim pocket $50K each". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- Matt Erickson. "Raphael Assuncao meets Francisco Rivera at UFC 170 in Las Vegas". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- "Broken hand knocks Francisco Rivera from UFC 170 fight with Raphael Assuncao". mmajunkie.com. February 3, 2014.
- Zane Simon (2014-02-09). "Report: UFC signs Pedro Munhoz to fight Raphael Assuncao at UFC 170". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- Ben Fowlkes (2014-02-22). "UFC 170 results, photos: Raphael Assuncao tops Pedro Munhoz for sixth straight". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Staff (2014-03-28). "Raphael Assuncao explains why he isn't fighting Renan Barao at UFC 173". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- John Morgan (2014-03-27). "UFC bantamweight champ Renan Barao faces T.J. Dillashaw in new UFC 173 headliner". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-08-06). "Bryan Caraway, Raphael Assuncao set to battle at UFC Fight Night Halifax". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-08-06.
- Ken Pishna (2014-10-04). "UFC Fight Night 54 Results: Raphael Assuncao dominates Bryan Caraway". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2014-10-04.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-12-22). "'Devastated' Raphael Assuncao breaks ankle in training". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- Staff (2015-01-21). "Urijah Faber vs. Raphael Assuncao headlines UFC Fight Night 62 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-21.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-02-02). "Raphael Assuncao injured, out of UFC Fight Night 62 main event with Urijah Faber". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-02-02.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-02-03). "Out of UFC headliner, Assuncao still targets champ Dillashaw: 'He knows I'm coming'". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- Ariel Helwani (2015-08-11). "Raphael Assuncao forced to undergo ankle surgery after all". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-08-11.