Raphael House Rudolf Steiner School
|Raphael House Rudolf Steiner School|
Raphael House Rudolf Stenier School
|27 Matuhi Street,
|Type||State integrated, composite (Years 1-13)|
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||133|
|School Coordinator||Caroline Gray|
|School roll||373 (July 2016)|
Raphael House Rudolf Steiner School is a coeducational, state integrated composite school in Belmont, Lower Hutt. It provides a Waldorf education for Years 1 to 13. Matriculation starts when children are 7 years of age.
The school follows Rudolf Steiner's 3-stage pedagogical model of child development promoted in Waldorf education. The Raphael House Rudolf Steiner/Waldorf curriculum is cross-referred to the National Curriculum. In 2012 a new Level 3 NZQA approved qualification, known as the Steiner School Certificate was offered to Class 12 (Year 13) students. From 2013 this qualification was offered at Levels 1, 2 and 3 of the New Zealand Qualifications Framework.
The Steiner School Certificate Level 3, has also been approved by Universities NZ, for University Entrance Ad Eundum Statum.
Foreign languages currently taught include:
Most overseas student exchanges are with students from German Waldorf schools.
Raphael House offers evening adult education courses on subjects such as health, anthroposophy, and self-development, and provides a small number of rooms for community activities. The school issues a printed and online weekly newsletter called 'The Bush telegraph'to parents which disseminates pertinent community information and also offers advertising space.
Raphael House celebrates a number of Christian festivals, namely Easter, Advent, St Nicholas, and Christmas, as well as Midwinter and St Michael's day, as cultural experiences for students and their parents. Preparation for the feast days is considered an important part of the students' experience; for example, the students learn songs and make their own colourful lanterns in the days leading up to the Midwinter festival.
- "Directory of Schools - as at 2 August 2016". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Decile Change 2014 to 2015 for State & State Integrated Schools". Ministry of Education. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Interview, May 2003, "X Patriate Anna Paquin" by Michele Manelis, NZHerald.co.nz. Accessed 2013-04-23.
- Awards for Anna Paquin, Best Actress in a Supporting Role, for The Piano (1993). Accessed 2007-12-31.
- School web site
- Pass the Blue Diamond - Stories and contributions from the rich life of Raphael House Rudolf Steiner School, New Zealand
- Te Kete Ipurangi
- Education Review Office report 2011
- Federation of Rudolf Steiner Schools in New Zealand