||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)|
Raphael Israeli, born September 15, 1935), is an Israeli academic, Professor Emeritus of Middle Eastern, Islamic and Chinese history at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. A research fellow at Truman Institute for the Advancement of Peace, http://truman.huji.ac.il/, and Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs in Jerusalem.
Israeli was born in Fes, Morocco and emigrated to Israel at the age of 14. Graduate of Nahalal. 12 years a Career Officer in the Israeli Defence Force, in Military Intelligence, whereafter he switched to Academia. He received a degree in Arabic and History from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and became a fellow of the Center of Chinese Studies at the University of California at Berkeley, where he earned an M.A. degree in East Asian History and a Ph.D in Chinese and Islamic History. Israelis working languages: Hebrew, English, French, Arabic, Chinese, Korean and Russian. He is a living part of the rise of modern Israel. He is married and has 3 children and 2 grandchildren.
He has taught for 30 years in well attended courses at the Hebrew University, as well as been a Visiting Professor at many prestigious Universities in the United States, Canada, Australia, Japan, and Europe.
He lectures in Academic Conferences, at Universities, and General Public lectures, on all Continents. He is known for his ability to deliver lectures without notes, introducing an educational joke or two for illustration, and has gained widespread recognition for the pertinence of his analysis. He is interviewed in Newsmedia, and participates in Court Cases and Investigative Committees as an expert witness. He is one of the world experts, and at the forefront of describing the rise of today's radical Islam.
He is the Author of over 40 books, and many scholarly articles in the fields of: the Modern Middle East, Islamic radicalism, Islam in China and Asia and the Opening of China by the French.
His latest books are:
- The Iraq War : Hidden Agendas and Babylonian Intrigue, Sussex Academic Press, 2004.
- Islamikaze: Manifestations of Islamic Martyrology, Frank Cass, London, 2004.
- War, Peace and Terror in the Middle East, Frank Cass, 2003.
- Jerusalem Divided : the Armistice Regime, 1947-1967, Frank Cass, 2002.
- Green Crescent over Nazareth: the Displacement of Christians by Muslims in the Holy Land, Frank Cass, 2002.
- (ed.) Dangers of a Palestinian State, Geffen, Jerusalem, 2003.
- Islam in China: Religion, Ethnicity, Culture and Politics, Rowman and Littlefield (Lexington Books), Maryland, 2002.
- Poison: Manifestations of a Blood Libel, Lexington Books, 2002.
- Arabs in Israel :Friends or Foes (Hebrew and English), Ariel Books, 2002 and 2007.
- Living with Islam : the Sources of Fundamentalist Islam (Hebrew), Achiasaf, 2006.
- The Spread of Islamikaze Islam into Europe, Vallentine Mitchell, London, 2008.
- Islamic Radicalism and Political Violence: The Templars of Islam and Sheikh Ra’id Salah, Vallentine Mitchell, London, 2008.
- Palestinians Between Nationalism and Islam : a Collection of Essays, Vallentine Mitchell, London, 2008.
- Piracy in Qumran: The Battle over the Scrolls of the Pre-Christ Era, Transaction, Rutgers University Press, New Jersey, 2008.
- The Islamic Challenge in Europe, Transaction, Rutgers University Press, 2008.
- Muslim Minorities in the Modern State, Transaction, Rutgers University Press, 2008.
- Muslim anti-Semitism in Christian Lands, Transaction, 2009.
- Back to Nowhere, Moroccan Jews in Fantasy and Reality, Lambert, Germany, 2010 (also in Hebrew in Jerusalem).
- Dabry : The Opening of China by the French, Lambert, Germany, 2011.
- The Blood Libel and its Derivatives, Transaction, 2012.
- The Oslo Idea: The Euphoria of Failure, Transaction, 2012.
- Israel's New Strategic Dilemmas, Strategic Publishing in Texas, 2013.
- Death Camps in Croatia: Visions and Revisions, Transaction, 2013.
- From Arab Spring to Islamic Winter : Roots and Consequences, Transaction, NJ(2013).
- Savagery in the Heart of Europe: the Bosnia War (1992-5), Strategic Books, Texas, 2013. (Raphael Israeli and Albert Benabou)
- Hatred, Lies and Violence in the Islamic World, Transaction, NJ, 2014.
- Defeat, Trauma, Lesson: Israel Between Life and Extinction, Strategic Books, TX, 2014.
- Years of Upheaval: The Axial Years in Islam since 1989, Transaction, NJ, 2016
- International Who's Who in Asian Studies (Asian Research Service, 1975), p. 110.
- "Raphael Israeli". Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- "Key People". Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Jerry Gordon (December 23, 2014). "Professor Raphael Israeli’s Prescience on Threat of Islamization to Australia and the West". New English Review.
- Raphael Israeli (February 27, 2015). "Raphael Israeli: Muslim apologist, thy name is coward". The Australian.