This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Raphael Israeli (born September 15, 1935) is Professor Emeritus of Middle Eastern, Islamic and Chinese history at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, as well as a research fellow at Truman Institute for the Advancement of Peace and the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs in Jerusalem.
Israeli was born in Fes, Morocco and emigrated to Israel at the age of 14. Graduate of Nahalal. For 12 years he was a career officer in the Israeli Defence Force in Military Intelligence, whereafter he switched to Academia.
He received a degree in Arabic and History from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and became a fellow of the Center of Chinese Studies at the University of California at Berkeley, where he earned an M.A. degree in East Asian History and a Ph.D in Chinese and Islamic History. Israeli's working languages are: Hebrew, English, French, Arabic, Chinese, Korean and Russian.
Israeli has taught for 30 years at the Hebrew University and was a visiting professor at universities in the United States, Canada, Australia, Japan, and Europe. He is the author of over 40 books and many scholarly articles on the Modern Middle East, Islamic radicalism, Islam in China and Asia and the opening of China by the French.
In 2017, Israeli published a book in Hebrew titled The Arab Minority in Israel, Open and Hidden Processes, in which he calls the Arab minority a "fifth column", who receive more from the state than they contribute and expresses regret that they are not confined to camps like Japanese Americans were in WWII.
- The Arab Mind, Scribner, NY 1973.
- The Jewish Mind, Wayne State University, 1977.
- The Iraq War : Hidden Agendas and Babylonian Intrigue, Sussex Academic Press, 2004.
- Islamikaze: Manifestations of Islamic Martyrology, Frank Cass, London, 2004.
- War, Peace and Terror in the Middle East, Frank Cass, 2003.
- Jerusalem Divided : the Armistice Regime, 1947-1967, Frank Cass, 2002.
- Green Crescent over Nazareth: the Displacement of Christians by Muslims in the Holy Land, Frank Cass, 2002.
- (ed.) Dangers of a Palestinian State, Geffen, Jerusalem, 2003.
- Islam in China: Religion, Ethnicity, Culture and Politics, Rowman and Littlefield (Lexington Books), Maryland, 2002.
- Poison: Manifestations of a Blood Libel, Lexington Books, 2002.
- Arabs in Israel :Friends or Foes (Hebrew and English), Ariel Books, 2002 and 2007.
- Living with Islam : the Sources of Fundamentalist Islam (Hebrew), Achiasaf, 2006.
- The Spread of Islamikaze Islam into Europe, Vallentine Mitchell, London, 2008.
- Islamic Radicalism and Political Violence: The Templars of Islam and Sheikh Ra’id Salah, Vallentine Mitchell, London, 2008.
- Palestinians Between Nationalism and Islam : a Collection of Essays, Vallentine Mitchell, London, 2008.
- Piracy in Qumran: The Battle over the Scrolls of the Pre-Christ Era, Transaction, Rutgers University Press, New Jersey, 2008.
- The Islamic Challenge in Europe, Transaction, Rutgers University Press, 2008.
- Muslim Minorities in the Modern State, Transaction, Rutgers University Press, 2008.
- Muslim anti-Semitism in Christian Lands, Transaction, 2009.
- Back to Nowhere, Moroccan Jews in Fantasy and Reality, Lambert, Germany, 2010 (also in Hebrew in Jerusalem).
- Dabry : The Opening of China by the French, Lambert, Germany, 2011.
- The Blood Libel and its Derivatives, Transaction, 2012.
- The Oslo Idea: The Euphoria of Failure, Transaction, 2012.
- Israel's New Strategic Dilemmas, Strategic Publishing in Texas, 2013.
- Death Camps in Croatia: Visions and Revisions, Transaction, 2013.
- From Arab Spring to Islamic Winter : Roots and Consequences, Transaction, NJ(2013).
- Savagery in the Heart of Europe: the Bosnia War (1992-5), Strategic Books, Texas, 2013. (Raphael Israeli and Albert Benabou)
- Hatred, Lies and Violence in the Islamic World, Transaction, NJ, 2014.
- Defeat, Trauma, Lesson: Israel Between Life and Extinction, Strategic Books, TX, 2014.
- Years of Upheaval: The Axial Years in Islam since 1989, Transaction, NJ, 2016
- The Internationalization of ISIS: The Muslim State in Iraq and Syria, Transaction Publishers, April 2016, 287 pages.
- International Who's Who in Asian Studies (Asian Research Service, 1975), p. 110.
- "Raphael Israeli". Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- "The Harry S. Truman Research Institute". truman.huji.ac.il. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Key People". Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Chaim Levinson (June 9, 2017). "Senior Israeli politicians celebrate book that says Arabs should be incarcerated in camps". Haaretz.
- Gordon, Jerry, "Will the Islamic State be Destroyed or Self-Destruct?" (review and interview), newenglishreview.org, November, 2016. Retrieved 2017-01-27.