Born in Oxford, his father is political commentator David Selbourne. He grew up in Oxford and studied Politics at the University of Sussex before moving to Italy. He lived in the West Midlands for many years, the setting for his debut novel Beauty.
- Profile and interview in The Times
- Extract from Beauty featured in The Guardian newspaper
- Review of Beauty in The View From Here
- Interview in The Independent
- Tindal Street Press
- "Raphael Selbourne". Tindal Street Press. 2009. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Jackson, Lorne (15 January 2010). "Raphael Selbourne shines a light on hidden world in Beauty". Birmingham Post. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Beauty by Raphael Selbourne wins 2009 Costa First Novel Award". Tindal Street Press. 5 January 2010. Retrieved 31 December 2011.