Mar Raphael Thattil
|Bishop of Syro-Malabar Catholic Eparchy of Shamshabad|
|See||See of Shamshabad|
|Installed||7 January 2018|
|Ordination||21 December 1980|
by Mar Joseph Kundukulam
|Born||21 April 1956|
Thrissur, Kerala, India
|Denomination||Syro-Malabar Catholic Church|
|Residence||Bishop’s House, C/o St. Mary's Syro Malabar Catholic Church, Balapur, R. R. District, Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Alma mater||Pontifical Oriental Institute (DCanL)|
Mar Raphael Thattil is an Indian Catholic prelate of the Syro-Malabar Church. He has been a bishop since 2010 and the first bishop of the Eparchy (Diocese) of Shamshabad since 2018. The Diocese of Shamshabad is headquartered in Telangana and has jurisdiction over Syro-Malabar Catholics in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, North India, Central India, and Northeast India. As per Pope Francis's October 2017 letter, through the creation of the Shamshabad Diocese, ‘all India jurisdiction’ of the Syro-Malabar Church has been restored.
Thattil was born in Thrissur on 21 April 1956. He did his schooling at St Thomas College High School, Thrissur, and joined St Mary’s Minor Seminary, Thope on 4 July 1971. He did his ecclesiastical studies in St Thomas Apostolic Seminary, Vadavathoor, and he was ordained priest by Mar Joseph Kundukulam on 21 December 1980.
Thattil was first appointed as the Assistant Vicar of Aranattukara and later as Father Prefect of minor seminary. He was then sent to Pontifical Oriental Institute, Rome for doing his Bachelor of Theology and Doctor of Canon Law. After coming back from Rome, he was appointed as the Director of Catechism. In 1998 he was appointed as the first Rector of the Mary Matha Major Seminary. On 15 January 2010 he was appointed as Auxiliary Bishop of Syro-Malabar Catholic Archdiocese of Thrissur and Titular Bishop of Buruni.
Pope Francis appointed Bishop Raphael Thattil to the office of the Apostolic Visitor for the Syro-Malabar faithful in India residing outside the proper territory of the Major Archiepiscopal Church. He was the first rector of the Mary Matha Major Seminary, Thrissur.
- "Syro-Malabar Catholic Church inaugurates Shamshabad Diocese". Vatican News. Retrieved 1 May 2020.
- "Mar Raphael Thattil". Syro-Malabar Church Internet Mission. Retrieved 2 June 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Our Auxiliary Bishop Mar Raphael Thattil". Marathakara Church. Retrieved 2 June 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Provisions for the Syro-Malabar Church, 10.10.2017" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 10 October 2017. Retrieved 9 January 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kerala church gets back all-India jurisdiction with Shamshabad diocese". Indian Express. 7 January 2018. Retrieved 10 January 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Catholic Church titles|
| Titular Bishop of Buruni
|New diocese|| Eparch of Shamshabad