Rapid City Regional Airport
Rapid City Regional Airport
|Owner||City of Rapid City|
|Operator||Rapid City Regional Airport Board|
|Serves||Rapid City, South Dakota|
|Elevation AMSL||3,203 ft / 976 m|
The airport covers 1,655 acres (6.70 km2) at an elevation of 3,203 feet (976 m). It has two runways: 14/32 is 8,701 by 150 feet (2,652 x 46 m) concrete and 5/23 is 3,601 by 75 feet (1,098 x 23 m) asphalt.
In 2015 the airport had 42,989 aircraft operations, average 118 per day: 55% general aviation, 27% air taxi, 10% military and 8% airline. In September 2017, there were 118 aircraft based at this airport: 87 single-engine, 25 multi-engine, 5 jet, and 1 glider.
The terminal building opened in 1988; a $20.5 million expansion and renovation designed by TSP Architecture was completed in 2012. It includes 12,000 square feet of new floor space, the addition of three jet bridges and one boarding gate, an expanded security area with room for up to three lanes and body scanners, a new rental car wing, additional seating in the concourse, larger restrooms before and after security, modernized phone and data systems, new flight information boards, improved food service and shopping areas in the concourse, a rooftop patio, and energy-efficient windows and building exterior repair.
Airlines and destinations
The airport provides service to 13 destinations across the United States.
The following airlines offer scheduled passenger service:
|Allegiant Air||Las Vegas, Phoenix/Mesa|
|American Eagle|| Chicago–O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth|
|Delta Air Lines||Seasonal: Minneapolis/St. Paul|
|Delta Connection|| Minneapolis/St. Paul, Salt Lake City|
|United Airlines||Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare|
|United Express|| Chicago–O'Hare, Denver|
Seasonal: Houston–Intercontinental, Los Angeles (begins June 22, 2019), Newark, San Francisco (begins June 22, 2019)
Map of destinations
|Map of Destinations|
|Rank||Carrier||Passengers||% of market|
|1||Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota||79,450||Delta|
|3||Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas||45,680||American|
|4||Chicago–O’Hare, Illinois||38,450||American, United|
|6||Salt Lake City, Utah||19,230||Delta|
|7||Las Vegas, Nevada||15,600||Allegiant|
|8||Charlotte, North Carolina||2,760||American|
|10||Newark, New Jersey||770||United|
- FAA Airport Master Record for RAP ( PDF), effective September 14, 2017.
- "List of NPIAS Airports" (PDF). FAA.gov. Federal Aviation Administration. 21 October 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- Aust, Scott. "$20.5M airport project looks to land on time". Rapid City Journal. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- Rusch, Emilie (April 18, 2012). "$20.5M Airport Project Looks to Land On Time". Rapid City Journal. Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- "RITA BTS Transtats - RAP". www.transtats.bts.gov. Retrieved 27 November 2018.
- Official airport Website
- "Rapid City Regional Airport" (PDF). (159 KiB) page from the South Dakota DOT Airport Directory
- (PDF), effective March 28, 2019
- FAA Terminal Procedures for RAP, effective March 28, 2019
- Resources for this airport: