Rapid transit in Canada
There are three heavy rail and three light rail rapid transit systems operating in Canada. The Toronto subway was the first rapid transit system in Canada when it opened a 12-station line in 1954. It has since grown to encompass three heavy rail lines and one intermediate rail line and has the most number of stations of any system in Canada with 69. Construction has begun on the Eglinton Crosstown Line and the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension, which will add 28 new stations and a total of 27.6 km of new track. Montreal introduced the Montreal Metro in 1966 and has now become the most popular rapid transit system in the country with 1,263,800 daily riders. The Vancouver SkyTrain, an automated guided line, was opened in January 1986 for the Expo 86 world fair and is the longest rapid transit system in Canada with a system length of 79.6 km (49.5 mi). There are three light rail systems operating in Canada including systems in Calgary (the CTrain), Edmonton (the Edmonton LRT), and Ottawa (the O-train). There is one light rail system under construction in Kitchener-Waterloo named Ion rapid transit.
List of rapid transit systems
|Montreal, Quebec||Montreal Metro||Rubber-tired metro||1,061,300||69.2 km (43.0 mi)||68||0||0|
|Toronto, Ontario||Toronto subway||Subway||1,006,300||68.3 km (42.4 mi)||69||27.6 km (17.1 mi)||28|
|Vancouver, British Columbia||SkyTrain||Innovia Metro||385,600||79.6 km (49.5 mi)||53||0||0|
|Calgary, Alberta||CTrain||Light rail||310,700||59.9 km (37.2 mi)||45||0||0|
|Edmonton, Alberta||Edmonton LRT||Light rail||108,690||24.3 km (15.1 mi)||18||13.1 km (8.1 mi)||11|
|Ottawa, Ontario||O-Train||Diesel light rail||12,300||8.0 km (5.0 mi)||5||12.5 km (7.8 mi)||12|
|Region of Waterloo, Ontario||Ion rapid transit||Light rail||0||0 km (0 mi)||0||19 km (12 mi)||19|
- Bus rapid transit in Canada
- Light rail in Canada
- List of North American rapid transit systems by ridership
- Transportation in Canada
- "Canada's First Subway". City of Toronto. Retrieved 2007-02-25.
- "An underground railway project in 1910". Société de transport de Montréal.
- "Vancouver SkyTrain, Canada". Railway-Technology.com. Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- "Evergreen Extension opening today". NEWS 1130. 2016-12-02. Retrieved 2016-12-02.
- "Commuting Patterns and Places of Work of Canadians, 2006 Census". Statistics Canada. 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- "Public Transportation Ridership Report - Third Quarter, 2014" (PDF). American Public Transportation Association. November 30, 2015. p. 36. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- "About Calgary Transit / Facts and Figures / Statistics". Calgary Transit. City of Calgary. 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-17.
- "September 2015 Daily Cumulative Boarding Report Bus & LRT" (PDF). Edmonton. City of Edmonton. September 2015. p. 14. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "LRT for Everyone" (pdf). Edmonton Transit System and City of Edmonton. p. 4. Retrieved 2014-08-05.