Number of employees
|1,500 employees (October 2018)|
25,000 delivery persons (October 2018)
Rappi was founded in 2015 by Felipe Villamarin, Sebastián Mejía, and Simón Borrero, three Colombian entrepreneurs. The initial investment in Rappi was 2 million USD.
In October 2018, some delivery people of Rappi took to the streets. The company has been criticized for its working conditions, from the employees side and for a lack of customer care from their clientele
In January 2019, Rappi signed a partnership with Avon Products to distribute the company's beauty and personal care products through its platform. That month, with the penury of gas in Mexico, many users turned to Rappi to order gas delivered to their house, but the company had to remind them that this process was illegal.
In February 2019, Simon Borrero was awarded the "Empresario del año" (Businessman of the year) award from the Colombian President for helping transform society .
Rappi's defining characteristics is the broad range of products and services available for delivery. The mobile app lets users order groceries, food or drugstore medications, but also send money (cash) to someone, or have a courier withdraw money from their bank account from an ATM and get it delivered to them. Couriers even walk customers' dogs.
Its UI (user interface) looks like supermarket shelves and users can swipe items into their basket. Customers can pay in cash or via debit and credit cards. Its platform incorporates Grability, an e-commerce platform used by other retailers such as Walmart, El Corte Inglés and Cenconsud.
- (in Spanish) Boris Miranda, Rappi, el "Amazon de Colombia" que se convirtió en el emprendimiento más exitoso del país (y que genera protestas en algunas ciudades de América Latina), Bbc.com, 26 October 2018
- Rappi, Crunchbase.com
- "Rappi, la revolución del e-commerce viene de Colombia". Forbes. April 17, 2017.
- Kokalitcheva, Kia (November 8, 2016). "Colombian Startup Rappi Wants to Deliver 'Everything'". Forbes.
- (in Spanish) José Orozco, Rappi se convierte en “unicornio” gracias a una nueva ronda de financiamiento, Developerz.software, 7 September 2018
- (in Spanish) ¿Por qué protestan los trabajadores de Rappi?, Wradio.com.co, 20 October 2018
- (in Spanish) Testimonios que explican la protesta de los ‘rappitenderos’ en Bogotá, Semana.com, 20 October 2018
- (in Spanish) El infierno de trabajar en Rapp, Las2orillas.com, 15 October 2018
- (in Spanish) Colombia: Avon se alía con Rappi para trabajar en Brasil y Colombia, American-retail.com, 15 January 2019
- (in Spanish) Rappi se enfrenta a usuarios que piden gasolina desde la app en México, Fayerwayer.com, January 2019