Raquel Prado (born 1970) is a Venezuelan Bayesian statistician. She is a professor of statistics in the Jack Baskin School of Engineering of the University of California, Santa Cruz, and has been elected president of the International Society for Bayesian Analysis for the 2019 term.
Prado specializes in Bayesian inference for time series data. With Mike West, she is the author of the book Time Series: Modeling, Computation, and Inference (Texts in Statistical Science, CRC Press, 2010).
Education and career
Prado was born on April 24, 1970 in Caracas, and graduated from Simón Bolívar University in 1993. She completed her Ph.D. in statistics at Duke University in 1998. Her dissertation, Latent Structure in Non-Stationary Time Series, was supervised by Mike West.
After completing her Ph.D. she returned to Simón Bolívar University as a faculty member before moving to Santa Cruz.
In 1999, Prado and her co-authors Andrew Krystal and Mike West won the Outstanding Statistical Application Award of the American Statistical Association for their work on statistical analysis of electroencephalography data. In 2013, Prado became a Fellow of the American Statistical Association.
- "Raquel Prado", People, Jack Baskin School of Engineering, retrieved 2018-10-27
- Duke StatSci alums and faculty elected to ISBA leadership positions, Duke University Statistical Science, January 2, 2018, retrieved 2018-10-27
- Reviews of Time Series: Modeling, Computation, and Inference:
- Seaver, William (August 2011), Technometrics, 53 (3): 328, JSTOR 23210418
- Robert, Christian P. (August 2011), International Statistical Review, 79 (2): 277–279, JSTOR 41305030
- Bakouch, Hassan S. (April 2012), Journal of Applied Statistics, 39 (4): 923–923, doi:10.1080/02664763.2012.657378
- Harvill, Jane L. (June 2012), Journal of the American Statistical Association, 107 (498): 851–853, JSTOR 23239624
- Shanmugam, Ramalingam (July 2013), Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 85 (7): 1495–1495, doi:10.1080/00949655.2013.814268
- Raquel Prado, Duke University Statistical Science, retrieved 2018-10-27. See also Prado's dissertation, via Duke University Statistical Science.
- Raquel Prado at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Sansó, Bruno, Bayesians in Venezuela, retrieved 2018-10-27
- Ganley, Susan (August 25, 1999), "American Statistical Association Honors 15 at Annual Meeting", The Chronicle of Higher Education
- "Many Honored at Presidential Address, Awards Ceremony" (PDF), AMSTATNews, 436: 20–23, October 2013