Rarden Township, Scioto County, Ohio
|Rarden Township, Scioto County, Ohio|
State Route 73 southeast of Rarden
Location of Rarden Township in Scioto County
|• Total||31.8 sq mi (82.2 km2)|
|• Land||31.8 sq mi (82.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,063 ft (324 m)|
|• Density||39/sq mi (15/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086934|
Rarden Township is one of the sixteen townships of Scioto County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census counted 1,249 people in the township, 1,090 of whom lived in the unincorporated parts of the township.
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Sunfish Township, Pike County - north
- Camp Creek Township, Pike County - northeast
- Morgan Township - east
- Brush Creek Township - south
- Meigs Township, Adams County - southwest
- Franklin Township, Adams County - west
The village of Rarden lies in the center of the township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Rarden township, Scioto County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 30, 2012.
- "Portsmouth Area Resource Guide, 2007-2008". The Community Common. 2007-07-29. p. 6.
- Bannon, Henry Towne (1927). Stories Old and Often Told, Being Chronicles of Scioto County, Ohio. Baltimore: Waverly Press. p. 274.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.