Ras Al Khaimah
Ras Al Khaimah
|Ras Al Khaimah|
Clockwise from top: Mangroves are seen from Al Qawasim corniche flagpole, Ras Al Khaimah creek, Rotana resort in Ras Al Khaimah, Ras Al Khaimah fort museum, Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Ras Al Khaimah
|Country||United Arab Emirates|
|Emirate||Ras Al Khaimah|
|• Sheikh||Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi|
|• Total||373 km2 (144 sq mi)|
|Elevation||40 m (130 ft)|
|• Density||310/km2 (810/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (UAE Standard Time)|
Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) (Arabic: رَأْس ٱلْخَيْمَة, historically Julfar) is the largest city and capital of the Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates. It is the sixth-largest city in UAE after Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Al Ain and Ajman.
Ras Al Khaimah City was once known in history as Julfar and is said to have been one of the oldest settlements in the UAE. According to the ruler of Sharjah, Sultan bin Muhammad Al-Qasimi, the city was founded by Armenians who escaped the Mongol invasion. The city is home to many archaeological sites located in the outer skirts, the city was also the locale of two British led campaigns in the Persian Gulf in 1809 and 1819, the region was nicknamed the Pirate Coast due to being known for raiding British ships, however, Sultan Al Qasimi denied this.
Other than Arabic government-funded schools, the city is home to Ras Al Khaimah Academy and Wellspring School, and other Indian schools. It also has Higher Colleges of Technology campus, Ras Al Khaimah Medical and Health Sciences University, American University of Ras Al Khaimah and many other colleges.
- "Middle East :: United Arab Emirates". Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Leech, Nick (2015-10-22). "The long read: has a lost Arab capital been found on the Oman-UAE border?". The National. Retrieved 2019-01-20.
- "History & Culture". Visit Ras Al Khaimah. Retrieved Aug 1, 2020.
- Al-Qasimi, Sultan Muhammed; Shāriqah), Sulṭān ibn Muḥammad al-Qāsimī (Ruler of (1 January 1988). "The Myth of Arab Piracy in the Gulf". Routledge – via Google Books.
- "Population of Cities in United Arab Emirates". worldpopulationreview.com. Retrieved 2020-05-25.
- "Best schools in RAK". Edarabia.com. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- "American University of Ras Al Khaimah - (AURAK)". American University of Ras Al Khaimah UAE. 2016-08-05. Retrieved 2020-05-25.
- Media related to Ras Al Khaimah (city) at Wikimedia Commons