Ras Qartas Energy Plant
|Rasgirtas Power station|
|Location||Ras Laffan Industrial City|
|Construction cost||US3.9 billion|
|Operator(s)||Ras Girtas Power Company|
|Thermal power station|
|Primary fuel||Natural gas|
|Make and model||Mitsubishi Heavy Industries|
|Nameplate capacity||2,730 MW|
Ras Qartas Energy Plant (also known as Ras Laffan C power and desalination plant) is a power generation and water desalination plant located in Ras Laffan Industrial City, Qatar. It has installed capacity of 2,730 MW, which include eight gas turbines and four steam turbines by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. The first stone of the plant was officially laid on 4 May 2009. The plant was commissioned on 31 May 2011 in the presence of the emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, and it cost US3.9 billion. Once fully operational, the plant will produce 286,000 cubic metres per day (10,100,000 cu ft/d) of desalinated water. It uses ten multi-effect distillation/thermal vapour compression units built by Sidem.
The plant is operated by Ras Girtas Power Company, and it is owned by Qatar Electricity & Water Company (45%), Qatar Petroleum (15%), GDF Suez (through International Power, 20%), Mitsui & Co. (10%), Chubu Electric Power (5%), and Shikoku Electric Power Company (5%).
- "Qataräs Biggest "Ras Qartas Energy Plant" To Start Functioning From May 31st". QEWC. CrazyEngineers. 2011-05-29. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- "Qatar commissions Ras Qartas 2730 MW power and water plant". Power-Gen Worldwide. PennWell Corporation. 2011-06-01. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- "Completion of the world's biggest power generation and desalination plant in Qatar". The Denki Shimbun. Japan Electric Association. 2011-06-03. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- "GDF SUEZ celebrates first stone ceremony for Ras Laffan C project, Qatar" (Press release). GDF Suez. 2009-05-04. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- "Qatar opens large scale desalination facility". Water World. PennWell Corporation. 2011-06-01. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- "MED/TVC desalination plant inaugurated in Qatar". D&WR. Faversham House. 2011-06-02. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- http://www.rasmala.com/equity_report/Qatar_Electric_Water_Co_05Oct11.pdf P.13