Rashmi Sinha at LinkedIn, 2012
|Residence||San Francisco, California|
|Alma mater||Allahabad University|
|Awards||Most Powerful Women Entrepreneurs (Fortune)|
Rashmi Sinha is an Indian-American businesswoman and CEO of San Francisco-based technology company SlideShare. In 2012, Fortune named her No. 8 on its Most Powerful Women Entrepreneurs list. In 2008, Rashmi was named one of the World's Top 10 Women Influencers in Web 2.0 by Fast Company.
Early life and education
Rashmi grew up in India and earned a PhD in cognitive neuropsychology at Brown University. There, Rashmi took computer science courses with Andy van Dam, so she had some exposure to the HCI (human-computer interaction) way of thinking. She took a course in designing educational software. Rashmi Sinha went to University of California, Berkeley for a postdoc where she switched her focus to human-computer interaction.
She has done PhD in Psychology from Brown University. She has done M.A. in Psychology and B.A. from Allahabad University.
She then left academia at the University of California to start her own user-experience consultancy. Deciding that she enjoyed practical problems more, she co-founded Uzanto, a user experience consulting company and worked on projects for companies like eBay, Blue Shield, AAA etc. Her first foray into products was with MindCanvas (a game-like software for customer research) released in November 2005.
Simultaneously, Rashmi and her husband, with the help of her older brother Amit Ranjan, built SlideShare, a site for people to share presentations online, in just six months. Since its launch in 2006, more than 9 million presentations have been uploaded to SlideShare, helping professionals connect through content. LinkedIn acquired SlideShare for over $100 million in 2012.
In 2008, Rashmi was named one of the World's Top 10 Women Influencers in Web 2.0 by Fast Company.
Sinha tries to get to the office about 9:30 or 10am every morning and the first thing she does is check her e-mails. As she checks her e-mails she tries to make sure there isn’t anything that is so important that it needs here attention as soon as possible. She tries her best to answer all the emails immediately. She states “If I don’t, I’m spending my time twice. Once when I see the email, and again when I reply to it later on. And then in between, it’s occupying mental space.” Every Monday morning her office starts with a “scrum meeting” which she says is like a “rugby huddle everyone in a circle. Each person has a few minutes to say three things: what you did last week, what you’d like to do today, and what you need from somebody else to do at work. Jon places a stuffed cow in the center of the huddle. Whoever the cow is facing goes first. The scrum lasts 10 to 15 minutes, tops and gives me a good overview of what everyone is working on. We have scrum meetings two or three times a week. Slideshare’s work environment is laid back to keep the workers upbeat and open-minded.
Rashmi writes about social software and entrepreneurship at her blog; Rashmisinha.com. She is involved in the HCI community, was one of the founding members of the Information Architecture Society, and co-chairs the monthly BayCHI talk series.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 11, 2014. Retrieved June 12, 2014.
- "The Online Presentation Service by Rashmi Sinha". Eyerys.com. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- "About". Rashmisinha.com. 30 November 2008. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- Gannes, Liz (3 May 2012). "LinkedIn Buys SlideShare For $119M While Beating Earnings Expectations". Mobile Apps News. Retrieved 28 May 2012.
- Chang, Angie (4 May 2012). "Female Founders To Watch: Literally Married To Your Co-Founder". Retrieved 28 May 2012.
- Sinha, Rashmi. "About". Retrieved 28 May 2012.
- "America's Sexiest CEOs - Playboy - Sexiest Women - Free Pic Gallery". Web.archive.org. 15 June 2009. Archived from the original on June 15, 2009. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "Indian-origin Rashmi Sinha in Playboy's 'sexiest CEOs' list". The Indian Express Limited. 21 May 2009. Retrieved 23 May 2009.
- "The Way I Work: Rashmi Sinha of SlideShare". Inc.com. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rashmi Sinha.|