|Developer||Raspberry Pi Foundation|
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||Raspbian Jessie with PIXEL / 16.02.2017|
|Marketing target||Raspberry Pi|
|Default user interface||PIXEL, LXDE|
|License||Free and open-source software licenses (mainly GPL)|
Raspbian is a Debian-based computer operating system for Raspberry Pi. Since 2015 till now it is officially provided by the Raspberry Pi Foundation as the primary operating system for the family of Raspberry Pi single-board computers. Raspbian was created by Mike Thompson and Peter Green as an independent project. The initial build was completed in June 2012. The operating system is still under active development. Raspbian is highly optimized for the Raspberry Pi line's low-performance ARM CPUs.
Raspbian uses PIXEL, Pi Improved Xwindows Environment, Lightweight as its main desktop environment as of the latest update. It is composed of a modified LXDE desktop environment and the Openbox stacking window manager with a new theme and few other changes. The distribution is shipped with a copy of computer algebra program Mathematica and a version of Minecraft called Minecraft Pi as well as a lightweight version of Chromium as of the latest version.
- "Download Raspbian for Raspberry Pi". RaspberryPi.org.
- "Introducing PIXEL". Raspberry Pi. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "RaspbianAbout - Raspbian". www.raspbian.org. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- "FrontPage - Raspbian". www.raspbian.org. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- Mathematica and the Wolfram Language are included in this release under license and with permission of Wolfram Research, Inc. and may be used for non-commercial purposes only. raspberrypi.org Download Raspbian for Raspberry Pi
- "Introducing PIXEL - Raspberry Pi". Raspberry Pi. 2016-09-28. Retrieved 2017-01-07.