|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||751809|
A post office called Rat was established in 1898, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1954. The community was named "Rat" in protest after postal authorities denied the townspeople their first choice of "Buckshorn". Rat has been noted for its unusual place name.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Rat, Missouri
- Missouri Atlas & Gazetteer, DeLorme, 1998, First edition, p. 55, ISBN 0-89933-224-2
- "Shannon County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- "Shannon County Place Names, 1928–1945". The State Historical Society of Missouri. Archived from the original on June 24, 2016. Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- LIFE. 31 January 1944. p. 57. ISSN 0024-3019.
|This Shannon County, Missouri state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|