|Single by Sepultura featuring Carlinhos Brown and David Silveria|
|from the album Roots|
|Format||CD single, 7"|
|Recorded||October–December 1995 at
in Malibu, California, U.S.
|Genre||Nu metal, world music|
|Length||4:30 (album version)
3:14 (single version)
|Songwriter(s)||Max Cavalera, Igor Cavalera, Andreas Kisser, Paulo Jr.|
|Sepultura featuring Carlinhos Brown and David Silveria singles chronology|
"Ratamahatta" is Sepultura's ninth official single, and the last of three to be taken from the album Roots, released in 1996. It is also the last Sepultura single to feature founding frontman Max Cavalera. The song is amongst the band's best-known and remains a concert staple to this day. A music video was created for the song using stop motion animation which explores the themes of the song. This video can be found on the VHS We Are What We Are, which was later released on DVD as part of Chaos DVD.
The song features guest appearances from Carlinhos Brown on vocals and former Korn drummer David Silveria on percussion. It is amongst Sepultura's most percussive and tribal songs, certainly the most so of any of the singles.
The song also appears in live form on the band's live release Under a Pale Grey Sky.
The artwork is a painting which reflects the video. Featured primarily on the sleeve is Zé do Caixão.
The single was released on 2 CDs and 7" vinyl. The first CD was presented in a card foldout digipak case, while the second was in a standard slimline jewel case. Early copies of the digipak version were embossed with a stamp of the band's thorned ‘S' logo. The vinyl was a strictly limited edition.
- Mass Hypnosis (live) (from Under Siege (Live in Barcelona))
- Note that all of these B-Sides except for "Mass Hypnosis" (live) and "Amen/Inner Self" (live) would be collected on Blood-Rooted.
- Slave New World" (live) and "Amen/Inner Self" (live) were recorded live in Minneapolis, MN in March 1994
In popular culture
- Max Cavalera - Lead Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
- Carlinhos Brown - Vocals
- Igor Cavalera - Drums
- David Silveria - Percussion
- Andreas Kisser - Lead Guitar
- Paulo Jr. - Bass
- Produced by Ross Robinson and Sepultura
- Recorded and engineered by Ross Robinson
- Mixed by Andy Wallace
- Assistant Engineer: Richard Kaplan