Rate Your Music
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|Database and community|
|Available in||English, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish|
|Created by||Hossein Sharifi|
|Alexa rank||4980 (April 2017[update])|
|Registration||Optional and free|
|Launched||December 28, 2000|
History and features
Rate Your Music was founded on December 24, 2000 by Seattle resident Hossein Sharifi, whose corresponding site username is "sharifi." Unlike Discogs, focusing on electronic music, Rate Your Music was in its beginning more rock oriented, before gradually integrating every other genre. The main idea of the website is to allow the users to add albums, EPs, singles, videos and bootlegs to the database and to rate them. The rating system uses a scale of minimum a half-star (or 0.5 points) to maximum five stars (or 5 points). In this manner, Rate Your Music bears resemblance to a wiki, as all of the databases content is generated jointly by the registered user community (artists, releases, biographies, etc.); however, the majority of new, edited content must be approved by a moderator to prevent virtual vandalism.
RYM 1.0, the first version of the website, allowed the users to rate and catalog releases, as well as to write reviews, create lists and add artists and releases to the database. Over time, other features were progressively added, like cover art, a community board (forums) or private messaging. On August 7, 2006, RYM 2.0, a completely new version of the website was launched, introducing new features like the possibility to add track lists, labels, catalog numbers, concerts or venues.
As a result of rising expenses, the website ceased relying solely on donations in 2006 and began receiving revenue from other sources. Namely, the two changes were commission-based links to online music retailers, and Google AdSense links (which registered users can elect not to view). The user response to these changes was overwhelmingly positive, because of the democratic nature of the decision, which was openly proposed and discussed on the website before implementation, and the relatively unobtrusive nature of the links. 
In May 2009, Rate Your Music started to add films to its database.
Custom Charts and recommendations
A particular feature on Rate Your Music are the Custom Charts. They are weekly updated rankings of the releases and films in the database according to their popularity among the users. Every user can themselves define the criteria after which the charts are compiled: the highest or the lowest rated releases and films can for example be ranked by year, decade, format or country. Weighted averages are used to calculate the ordering for these charts; regular members who write reviews and rate more albums have a greater weight applied to their ratings. The site does not disclose their weighting methodology, and the charts frequently list lower-rated releases above higher-rated ones.
A user can recommend films, artists and releases to a friend or any other user on RYM. There is also an automatic personalized recommendation feature, which generates suggestions of new music to the user based on the ratings he or she has already given.
|Nov 2006||Mar 2008||Jul 2010||Dec 2011||Dec 2012||Mar 2014||Apr 2015||Apr 2017|
In December 2011, there were approximately 370 000 user accounts on Rate Your Music. Around one half of the people visiting the website come from the United States, the United Kingdom or Canada, the other half primarily comes from Western Europe (especially Scandinavia and the Netherlands), as well as from Poland, Russia, Mexico, Brazil and Australia.
As of 2004, Rate Your Music allows a very reduced number of unsigned artists to host their MP3 files of recordings on the main server. Since 2009, members of the site's community have released several tribute/cover albums as free downloads.
- Information about RYM by owner Hossein Sharifi. Retrieved 2012-01-24
- "Rate Your Music Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2015-06-30.
- "RateYourMusic.com WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools". WHOIS. Retrieved 2016-08-05.
- mahalo.com. Retrieved 2012-01-24
- "Profile: sharifi - Rate Your Music". rateyourmusic.com. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- RYM versus Discogs. Retrieved 2012-01-29
- The RYM Ad Proposal being discussed in the Forums. Retrieved 2012-01-24
- Custom Charts. Retrieved 2012-01-28
- Statistics 2006 in the official "Statistics of RYM" thread. Retrieved 2012-01-28
- Statistics 2008 in the official "Statistics of RYM" thread. Retrieved 2012-01-28
- Statistics 2010 in the official "Statistics of RYM" thread. Retrieved 2012-01-28
- Statistics 2011 in the official "Statistics of RYM" thread. Retrieved 2012-01-28
- Statistics 2014 in the official "Statistics of RYM" thread. Retrieved 2014-07-15
- Statistics 2015 in the official "Statistics of RYM" thread. Retrieved 2015-06-30
- Statistics 2017 in the official "Statistics of RYM" thread. Retrieved 2017-10-09
- "Geek Attitude: RateYourMusic.com"; Daily-Rock N°31 June 2009 (in French)