|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|• Chairman||Kashi Prasad (Ex. MLA)|
|• Sub-Divisional Magistrate||Rajesh Verma|
|• M.L.A.||Manisha Anuragi|
|• Official||Hindi, English, Bundeli|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Rath (Hindi राठ) is a city and a municipal board in Hamirpur district in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. Rath is a Tehsil of Hamirpur District. It is situated at 506 km. north-south from New Delhi.
According to the general belief in the town, Rath's name came from the word "Virat". It is believed to be Virat Nagari where Pandavas remained in hiding for one year. Virat was the king of Virat Nagari on whose name the city was named. All the Pandavas along with Draupadi lived in Virat Nagri for one year in hiding (Agyatvas). Yudhishthir was a courtier who used to play Chaupar (the game of dice)with the king. Bheem was a cook. Arjun lived as Brihannala, a dance teacher of Uttara, daughter of king Virat, who was later married to Abhimanyu. Draupadi was a maid to the queen. The brother of the queen, Keechak, tried to lure Draupadi and was killed by Bheema near a pond. "Dhupakali pond" in the city is believed to be the pond where Bheema killed Keechak. Virat, later became Rath.
राठ नगर का नाम राजा विराट के नाम पर रखा गया ायहीं पर पाण्डव भी रहे थे
Rath is served by the Khajuraho airport 110 km) and is linked to Mumbai, Delhi, Varanasi and Agra by Jet Airways and Indian Airlines. Other airports in the vicinity are Kanpur (145 km) and Lucknow (225 km).
Rath has connected with UPSH-21 (Bilaraya to Panwari) and UPSH-42 (Hamirpur to Jhansi). There are other road like MDR-41B that link Rath to other parts of the state. UPSRTC and private bus services provide transportation to other cities. Rath has one upsrtc Bus Terminal & other privet bus stand like Orai, charkhari bus stand(near ramleela maidan) and Jalalpur Bus stand catering to different routes. Regular bus services are available to nearby towns like Mahoba, Banda, Orai, Chitrakoot, Hamirpur and Rath is also well connected with roadways services to Allahabad, Varanasi, Kanpur, Lucknow, Delhi, Agra, Jhansi, Noida, Jaipur, Mathura and Ajmer.
Rath is not directly linked with railways. The nearest railway stations are Harpalpur which is 45 km and Kulpahar which is 47 km from the Town. Other nearby railway station is Orai at a distance of 55 km from Rath.
rath reporters rampal yadav anil shrivastava suraj sahu santosh shrivastava rahish beg
there are many historical place many temples, gurudwara,church.
- Chaupra Mandir : is a Hindu temple complex in Rath. The complex displays millennia of traditional Indian and Hindu culture, spirituality, and architecture. It is situated on Chopra road 1.8 km from bus terminal. Chaupreshwar dham is historical and most popular temple of town it is the biggest temple of city
- Sankat Mochan Dham: is a hanuman mandir it is situated on outside of city approximately 5.1 km from bus terminal on UPSH-42 (Hamirpur Road).
- Shakti Mandir : is situated on padav thiraha(area name)0.2 km from bus terminal.
- Akhand Dham Asharam : is situated on near Mandi Sthal 1 km from bus terminal on Jhanshi road.Inside asharm is present Hanuman temple.
- Ram Bagh : it is situated near Orai bus stand on the Orai road.
- Nanak Gurudwara
- Madi Matan
- Magroth Village home of Samadhi of Dewan Shatrughan Singh(Bundelkhand Gandhi) & Rani Rajendra Kumari.
- Gayatri Saktipeeth
- '''Church ''': is situated near kotwali Thana Rath. is Established since 1902. inside Anna Hansen Memorial Mission School.
- Shankar Bhagwan Mandir : New Basti Charkhari Road sikandarpura Near Sanjay Mahan
- Kargawan - Home of Dr Kunwar Sanjay Pratap Singh -famous Indian American doctor. Highest ranking physician.
EIDGAAH- it is situated near nahar(canal) on kurra road.
- State Bank of India
- Punjab National Bank
- Allahabad Bank
- Central Bank of India
- HDFC Bank
- State Bank of India ( Krishi Vikas Shakha)
- UCO BANK (Near Orai Bus Stand)
- Punjab national bank
- Bank Of Baroda
- Syndicate bank
- Axis Bank in front of GGIC Rath
Sbi Csp Charkhari Road near Mahaveer Mandir
Rath is governed by a municipality under the Uttar Pradesh Municipal Act. It has 25 member council and the council is chaired by a chairperson who is directly elected by more than 35,000 electorates. The council is called Nagar Palika
Sub district administration
Rath is the headquarters of sub division which is headed by a Sub-Divisional Magistrate (S.D.M.). The same officer holds the court of City Megistrate of Rath. SDM is assisted by four officers one Tehsil Magistrate and three Nayab Tehsil Magistrates. Tehsildar looks into all the revenue matter of whole of sub district and is assisted by three nayabs who look after the three divisions of Rath namely Majgawan, Amgaon and Rath city.
Rath city's security is maintained by Rath Kotwali. An officer of the cadre of Deputy Superintendent of Police (C.O.) heads the police administration of Rath. Rath Kotwali is headed by Kotwal an officer of Inspector cadre. Rath police circle consists of 2 police stations namely
- Rath City Kotwali
- Majgawan Thana
- Hamirpur Chungi
- Ramlila Maidan
- Orai Road
- Kot Bazar
As of 2001[update] India census, Rath had a population of 65,056. Males constitute 54% of the population and females 46%. Rath has an average literacy rate of 61%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 70%, and female literacy is 50%. In Rath, 15% of the population is under 6 years of age.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rath, Uttar Pradesh.|
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Rath
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.