|• Dáil Éireann||Donegal|
|Time zone||UTC+0 (WET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-1 (IST (WEST))|
|Irish Grid Reference|
Rathmullan (Irish: Ráth Maoláin, meaning "Maoláin's ringfort") is a small seaside village on the Fanad Peninsula in County Donegal, Ireland. It is situated on the western shore of Lough Swilly, 11 km (7 miles) north-east of Ramelton and 12 km (7.5 miles) east of Milford. Rathmullan serves as an important historical village as it was the scene of the Flight of the Earls in 1607, a major turning point in Irish history.
Places of interest
There are also the ruins ol Carmelite Friary in Rathmullan which was built by Eoghan Rua MacSweeney in 1516. The Friary was sacked by the English garrison from Sligo in 1595. In 1607, Rathmullan was also said to have seen the last of the Gaelic Order, most notably the Clan Ó Néill and the Clan Ó Domhnaill, during the Flight of the Earls to the Continent. This 'flight' took place from Portnamurray on the southern edge of the town. In 1617 the Friary was occupied by the Protestant Bishop of Raphoe, The Rt. Rev. Dr. Andrew Knox. A subsequent Bishop of Raphoe turned it into a fortified house in anticipation of a possible French invasion during the Napoleonic Wars. This battery still stands and today serves as a heritage centre.
Facilities in Rathmullan include 1 shop, a resource centre, and also includes hotels such as Rathmullan House, Fort Royal (closed down 2015) and the Water's Edge now closed. The Looking Glass Spa Therapy, (Wedding Bridal Makeup, Wedding bridal call out available, Spa & Beauty Treatments.) Drumhalla House
Lough Swilly Deep Sea Fishing Festival
The sea is a large part of the lives of the people of Rathmullan and Lough Swilly Deep Sea Fishing Festival held in June is evidence of this. The 2007 festival took place on Sat, June 2, and Sun, June 3.
- Ian Anderson, former President of the Legislative Council of the Isle of Man.
- Mary McAlister
- Hugh Law, Lord Chancellor of Ireland, died here in 1883.
- Anne Byrne (née Proctor), Pre-Pregnancy Midwife (Glasgow), born here in 1942 (Died 2016). First Donegal person to receive an honorary MBE in 2001.
- List of abbeys and priories in Ireland (County Donegal)
- List of towns and villages in the Republic of Ireland
- List of towns in Northern Ireland
- List of abbeys and priories in the Republic of Ireland
- List of abbeys and priories in Northern Ireland
- "Census 2016 Sapmap Area: Settlements Rathmullen". Central Statistics Office (Ireland). Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- "BBC NEWS | In Depth | Birthday Honours 2001 | Honours in Scotland". news.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-09-03.
- "Shaun Doherty Show". m.facebook.com. Retrieved 2017-09-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rathmullan.|