Rational Software Architect
This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
V184.108.40.206 / July 8, 2019
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Linux, OS X|
|Available in||French, Korean, Chinese-Simplified, Spanish, German, Portuguese-Brazilian, Chinese-Traditional, Hungarian, English, Japanese, Italian|
|Type||Integrated development environment|
Rational Software Architect is a modeling and development environment that uses the Unified Modeling Language (UML) for designing architecture for C++ and Java EE (JEE) applications and web services. Rational Software Architect is built on the Eclipse open-source software framework and includes capabilities focused on architectural code analysis, C++, and model-driven development (MDD) with the UML for creating applications and web services.
Rational Software Architect is a family of three products:
- Rational Software Architect: Provides an integrated design and development tool with UML Support.
- Rational Software Architect for WebSphere Software: A platform optimized for SOA, JEE and Websphere applications.
- Rational Software Architect Design Manager : Collaboration tool to share and manage design information.
Rational Software Architect version 7.5 includes the following capabilities:
- Built on Eclipse version 3.4
- Supports UML version 2.1
- Supports model-to-code and code-to-model transformations.
- Forward transformations go from:
- Reverse transformations go from
- Java to UML
- C++ to UML.
- .NET to UML
- Includes all of the capabilities of Rational Application Developer
- Enables model management for parallel development and architectural re-factoring, e.g., split, combine, compare and merge models and model fragments.
- Provides visual construction tools to expedite software design and development
All Rational software products, including Rational Software Architect (RSA), are engineered as plugins that sit on top of the open-source Eclipse development platform. Installing Rational Software Architect gives the developer the option to either install RSA on top of an existing Eclipse v3.2 installation, or to install a new Eclipse v3.2 instance.
Since RSA is Eclipse-based, it can take advantage of the market of third-party plugins for Eclipse, as well as plugins specifically for Rational tools.
Rational Software has a long history in application modeling, beginning in the early 1990s with the work of Grady Booch, James Rumbaugh and Ivar Jacobson. They combined competing modeling approaches to form what eventually became the Unified Modeling Language.
Rational Software's first visual modeling and development tool was Rational Rose, a stand-alone modeling tool that integrates at the application programming interface (API) level with third-party Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) to support a variety of programming languages and other implementation technologies.
While Rational Rose was an important step in bringing Model-driven development (MDD) closer to practicing software developers, it was found that only a small fraction of developers used modeling on a routine basis. A key problem was identified - developers didn’t like to leave their IDE. They wanted visual modeling to be integrated—not with their IDE, but rather inside their IDE.
Rational responded to this need in 2002 with Rational XDE software, providing an extended development environment for the next generation of programming technologies emerging at the time: Java and Microsoft .NET. IBM Rational XDE was characterized as the next generation of IBM Rational Rose — not a new version of it (hence the name change), and not necessarily a replacement for Rose (since IBM Rational XDE was purposefully restricted to support only a select number of IDEs and implementation technologies). However, with each addition of a tool or capability came another point-to-point integration requirement. As more and more capabilities were added, Rational began to reach the practical limits of this style of tool integration.
For the next-generation MDD products, it was only natural to build additional model-driven development functions on top of Eclipse to form a more complete MDD tool. IBM Rational Software Architect, IBM Rational Software Modeler and IBM Rational Systems Developer are the result of these changes, transforming the silos that previously defined modeling, development and code analysis into an integrated and unified design and development experience. RSA now co-exists with IBM Rational Rhapsody (acquired from Telelogic in 2008) and several other products, with the two mentioned being the major MDD solutions within Rational.
The benefits of using Rational Software Architect include:
- Build software architecture that supports change with a common platform that facilitates easy roundtrip engineering and synchronization of models and code.
- Accelerate implementation and facilitate maintenance of a service-oriented architecture (SOA) solution, such as a web service, with tools and process guidance.
- Use UML to ensure the numerous stakeholders within your software development projects are continuously communicating, and use defined specifications to jumpstart development.
- Gain insight into distributed projects and tighter control of shared information.
Rational Software Architect Versions
- V7.0: Released December 2006. Based on Eclipse v3.2, UML v2.1 and Rational Application Developer v7.0
- V220.127.116.11: Released January 2007. Includes bug fixes.
- V18.104.22.168: Released January 2007. Includes support for UML to SOA transformations, including Service Creation Description Language (SCDL), BPEL, WSDL and XSD.
- V22.214.171.124: Released July 2007. Includes support for asynchronous web services (JAX-WS) and support for new Java 5.0 UML stereotypes.
- V7.5.0: Released September 2008. Based on Eclipse v3.4.
- V8.0: Released August 2010. Based on Eclipse v3.6.
- V8.5: Released July 6, 2012.
- V8.5.5: Released September 13, 2013.
- V9.0: Released June 14, 2013. Based on Eclipse v4.2.2. Includes support for OS X.
- V9.1: Released June 13, 2014. Based on Eclipse v126.96.36.199.
- v9.1.1: Released October 31, 2014.
- v9.1.2: Released June 5, 2015.
- v9.5: Released September 18, 2015.
- v9.6: Released September 22, 2016.
- v9.6.1: Released November 27, 2017.
- v9.7.0: Released November 27, 2018.
- http://www-.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SS8PJ7_9.5.0/com.ibm.xtools.modeler.doc/topics/c_models_and_diagrams.html[permanent dead link]
- "IBM Rational Software Architect V8.5 product family delivers an enhanced architecture, design, and deployment planning solution, IBM Press Release".
- IBM Rational Software Architect V9.1.1 product family delivers enhanced and broader support for DevOps
- IBM Rational Software Architect V9.1 delivers enhanced support for DevOps
- IBM Rational Software Architect V9.0 simplifies architectural design and collaboration for software development
- IBM Rational Software Architect V8.5 product family delivers an enhanced architecture, design, and deployment planning solution
- Rational Software Architect Product Evolution
- Rational Software Architect Community on IBM developerWorks
- IBM Knowledge Center for Rational Software Architect family of products
- IBM Rational Software Architect, Version 9.1 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect, Version 9.0 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect, Version 8.5 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect, Version 8.0 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect for WebSphere Software, Version 9.1 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect for WebSphere Software, Version 9.0 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect for WebSphere Software, Version 8.5 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect for WebSphere Software, Version 8.0 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect for WebSphere Software, Version 7.5 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect RealTime Edition, Version 9.1 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect RealTime Edition, Version 9.0 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect RealTime Edition, Version 8.5 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect RealTime Edition, Version 8.0 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect RealTime Edition, Version 7.5.2 Release Notes
- IBM Rational Software Architect Standard Edition, Version 7.5 Release Notes
- Product home page for Rational Software Architect
- IBM developerWorks page for Rational Software Architect
- 2001 press release announcing WebSphere Studio
- Architecture Management Team Blog
- Transfer UML diagrams from RSA to ClearQuest Designer's states