Ratnagiri Murugan Temple
Ratnagiri Balamurugan temple is an ancient Murugan temple situated in Thirumanikundram,Vellore, India. It was built around the 14th century. It is situated on top of a hill. Ancient Hindu scriptures say where there is a hill, there is Lord Murugan. Over the passage of time an ordinary sand structure was converted into a stone shrine. The 14th Century poet Arunagirinathar has sung about this temple as 'Rathinakiri Vazh Murukane Ilaya Vaaramarar Perumaley', which means 'Murugan, the God of Devas resides in Rathinagiri'.
It is believed that the divine power in the temple manifests its blessings in three forms
- In the form of the Lord Murugan idol in the shrine
- In the form of the guru Swami Balamurugan Adimai
- In the form of the devotee.
Everyday, hundreds of devotees visit the temple to seek the blessings of Lord Murugan.
- Temple is kept open between 6 am to 1 pm & 4 pm. to 8 pm.
- Abhishekam timings: 6 am to 10:30 am & 5:30 pm.
- Temple office working hours: 9 am to 1 pm & 3 pm to 6 pm.
Days of importance in the calendar year
- Tamil New Year Day
- Ādi Krittikai celebrations (Lord Murugan's Birthday)
- Ādi Velli (auspicious Friday in the month of August or September)
- Kanda Shashti celebrations (Six Days)
- Navaratri (Nine Nights of the Goddess Festival)
- Panguni Uttiram
- January 1
- The anniversary of Swamiji Balamurugan Adimai's enlightenment - 20 March
|This article about an Indian Hindu place of worship is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|