|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016)|
|District of Maharashtra|
Location of Ratnagiri district in Maharashtra
|Administrative division||Konkan Division|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||1. Ratnagiri-Sindhudurg (shared with Sindhudurg district),
2. Raigad (shared with Raigad district) (Based on Election Commission website)
|• Assembly seats||5|
|• Total||8,208 km2 (3,169 sq mi)|
|• Density||210/km2 (540/sq mi)|
|Major highways||NH-66, NH-204|
Ratnagiri district is one of the 36 districts of Maharashtra state in Western India. Ratnagiri (city) is the district headquarters of the district. The district is 11.33% urban. The district is bounded by the Arabian Sea to the west, Sindhudurg district to the south, Raigad district to the north and Satara, Sangli and Kolhapur districts to the east. This district is part of Konkan division.
There are five Maharashtra Vidhan Sabha constituencies in this district. These are:
There are two Lok Sabha constituencies in which the district is partly represented:
- Ratnagiri-Sindhudurg Lok Sabha constituency: This includes the southern part of Ratnagiri district, namely, Chiplun, Ratnagiri and Rajapur constituencies, along with the entire Sindhudurg District.
- Raigad Lok Sabha constituency: This includes the northern part of the district, namely, Khed, Guhagar and Dapoli constituencies, along with part of the neighbouring Raigad district.
According to the 2011 census Ratnagiri district has a population of 1,612,672, roughly equal to the nation of Guinea-Bissau or the US state of Idaho. This gives it a ranking of 311th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 196 inhabitants per square kilometre (510/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was -4.96%. Ratnagiri has a sex ratio of 1123 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 82.43%.
- Census GIS India
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Guinea-Bissau 1,596,677 July 2011 est.line feed character in
|quote=at position 14 (help)
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
Idaho 1,567,582line feed character in
|quote=at position 6 (help)
||Raigad district||Satara district|
|Arabian Sea||Sangli district|
|Sindhudurg district||Kolhapur district|