A rattail is a hair style that is characterized by a long "tail"-like element of hair growing downward from the back of the head. The rattail usually hangs naturally; however, it can be braided, treated as a dread, permed, straightened, poofed, or curled with an iron. In some instances, an individual might choose to grow several tails as opposed to a single very long tail.
The rattail saw a brief period of mainstream popularity during the mid to late 1980s. By the early 90s it had rapidly fallen out of fashion. However, it has recently seen renewed popularity.
Some punks and rivetheads have been known to sport rattails, although in a much more punk fashion, sometimes with the tail dyed a different color than the rest of the hair or by shaving the rest of the head, leaving only the tail. It is a very popular hairstyle in Broome, Western Australia and New Zealand, especially among boys, and is sometimes combined with shaved sides as a soft fauxhawk.
In the Star Wars universe, Jedi Padawans wear a rattail called a Padawan Braid until they are given the rank of Jedi Knight.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rattail haircut.|
- "Rat Tail Hairstyle". Retrieved February 15, 2010.
- "Is the rat-tail, the worst men's hairstyle ever, making a comeback?".
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQgu0MpnKq8 Rush: The Big Money (music video)
- "Shane Mosley & Kostya Tszyu: Boxing's Smiling Assassins". Retrieved February 15, 2010.
- @RichardGarriott (6 January 2015). "And... Just for me... The rat tail jokes! Had mine since 1984!" (Tweet). Retrieved 1 August 2020 – via Twitter.